Source: NMHS Newsletter, November 1989
Historical Society Sponsors Eleventh Tour Since 1972
The North Manchester Historical Society has sponsored 11 house tours since 1972 when it cooperated with the FunFest committee and Child Care Association to present a historic tour which also commemorated the 100th anniversary of the covered bridge. Five houses were arranged; at the last minutes the Pottenger house (Thomas Marshall birthplace house) had to be withdrawn because of the owner’s illness.
Every kind of house has been represented from the oldest Greek Revival structures in town (Lantz House part of the hotel, 1847; Eagle, 402 West Fifth, 1847; and Siling, 202 West Second, 1858) to the recent energy efficient houses. Big and small. All memorable.
These tours are an important outreach of the society and draw people for a variety of reasons. A record number of tickets was sold for the Christmas tour of 1983 when 1200 people passed through the Peabody-Dziabis home.
That kind of success means success for the Historical Society’s work in the Manchester community. You can help---tell your friends and neighbors about the tour. Sell those tickets! Adults $4.00 in advance, $5.00 day of tour; students $3.00 in advance, $4.00 day of tour; on tour day the tickets available at the College Administration Building, 604 College Avenue.
***1989 Holiday Tour ***
Ginerick-Andersen 201 South Maple Street 1926-27 English Cottage Style
Montel 701 Baker Street 1980 Contemporary
Wells-Yount 301 West Third 1871 Early Italianate “Steamboat Gothic”
Heeter-Freeman 501 Singer Road 1865 Italianate
Smith-Wilson 207 North Market Late 1880’s Late Italianate
Manchester College Administration Building 604 College Avenue 1889 . 1895 . 1920 Italianate/Craftsman
Home of Daniel and Jeanne Andersen * This English cottage style house has many amenities not often found: interesting plastering and moldings, large wood and marble fireplace, and closets whose light goes on when the door is opened. Built for Fred and Julia Gingerick in 1926-1926 by the architect Alvin M. Strauss. Gingerick was an executive of the Peabody Seating Company.
Home of J.P. and Michelle Freeman * The Freemans’ clever use of auction finds and family pieces befits the oldest house on the tour, framed by “Framer John” Heeter in 1865 and completed by itinerant brick layers from Ohio. Unusual round-top windows across the front of the house. The milkhouse still stands immediately behind. This house was open for tour in 1974.
Home of Earl and Phyllis Montel * The Montels designed this house in 1980 and had it built that year on their property along Baker Street. It represents the triumph of modern thinking on energy-wise housing, surrounded on three sides by a man-made embankment. Natural setting. Practical interior. Mantle made from log from old Sturgis railroad station. Stop for refreshments here. (The Society loves to bake cookies for you!)
Home of Charles and Cheryl Wilson * This late Victorian brick house was built for David Smith in the late 1880’s. Tall door frames and plinth blocks, pocket doors are intact as are some lighting fixtures upstairs once piped for gas lighting. Family heirlooms and eclectic pieces make their home comfortably with this busy family of five’s home (plus cats and fish).
Home of Helen Yount * The elegant Wells house (1871), is a fine “Steamboat Gothic” Italianate, seen in the two-story gallery across back. Wells was a Lutheran church man whose career extended over most of the 1800’s, twice pastor at Zion Church, present at the creation of the Synod, and on the board of Wittenberg University. First opened for tour in 1975., it was extensively upgraded and redecorated by David and Patty Grant. Helen Yount bought this house from David and Patty Grant in the summer of 1989. It is the historic Wells house, built for “Father” Hugh Wells in 1871. Beautiful inside and out.
Manchester College Administration Building *
Tickets will be for sale the day of the tour at the Administration
Building which is a stop on our tour to commemorate the 100th
anniversary of Manchester College.
This building is actually the culmination of a 1920 project which joined
Baumgerdner Hall (1889) and the Bible School (1895) separated by 132 feet.
The four-story bell tower houses the college bells which are rung twice
daily. Happy birthday, Manchester