Source: The Manchester Republican, June 12, 1873
MANCHESTER FOUNDRY AND MACHINE SHOP
About the year 1840, Samuel Leonard erected and put in operation the first foundry, in this place. (It is not our purpose to give a history of early times here; we leave that for the historian, our business is with the present.) The foundry has been carried on with varied success, since its first establishment. Mr. Ball, one of its present owners, owned and worked it fifteen years, or more, ago, but sold it to the Peek Brothers' a few years since, and bought it again this spring. it is now under the control of S.W. Ball and R.H. Peek; who have leased it for a term of years. They are both young men, and have the energy and pluck to make the business a success. They have already made some very important improvements and contemplate still larger ones this fall. They are principally engaged, at present, in the manufacture of cast and steel breaking plows, of which they make 25 per week (when not engaged on other work), worth at the shop $300.00, or an average of $12.00 each. The demand for their plows is greater than their ability to supply. They are running a repair shop in connection, where they repair almost everything made of iron, from a three-quarter bolt to a mill shaft.
Farmers of the Eel river valley, will find the Manchester Foundry and Machine Shop, a good place to send their threshers, mowers, and other implements to have them repaired. The work can be done there, just as well, as in any of the larger cities, and on equally as favorable terms.
Source: North Manchester Journal, March 8, 1883
The Manchester Foundry is getting out one hundred of their new patent plow. The patent is upon the point, a reversible self-sharpener arrangement, that is said, by those who have tried it, to be a success. One point of this make will do the work of three of the ordinary make. The plow is provided with steel mouldboard, jointer and all the latest improvements, and promises to be the coming plow.