Source: NMHS Newsletter Aug 1997
Cemeteries Near Acme
In May 1845 a son of Adam Ohmart drowned in Eel river.
Nicholas Frantz a neighbor, gave Mr. Ohmart permission
to bury the son on the little knoll on his farm, and
this was the beginning of what is known as the Frantz
Cemetery, one mile west of Acme. More ground was later
donated for burial purposes either by Nicholas Frantz or
Isaac C. Cripe who came in possession of the farm. This
was the main burying ground for the community until 1886
Pleasant Hill Cemetery
D.S.T Butterbaugh gives the following record in his
secretary's books: At a meeting in August 1886 the
German Baptist Church considered the necessity of a new
cemetery and appointed Joseph Crill and Abraham Miller
to look for a suitable location. The first ground was
purchased from Joseph Crill and Marcus Cupp and was paid
for by donations. This was the beginning of what was
later named Pleasant Hill Cemetery. More ground has been
added from time to time and at present (1927) (it)
contains more than eight acres and is being laid out in
lots as needed.
In 1925 the cemetery was incorporated in the name of the
Pleasant Hill Cemetery Association and is controlled by
five directors which are elected every two years.
Old Cripe Cemetery
This is a small cemetery containing a few more than a
dozen graves and located one fourth mile east of Acme.
With the exception of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Heeter and
Franz Zimmerman, all buried here are members of the
Cripe families that owned and lived on this section of
land. It is now well fenced and cared for, and I believe
is under the care of the township. Burials were between
the years of 1845 and 1894.
The Old Brethren Cemetery
This cemetery was founded in the early years of 1880s,
is located one mile east and one half mile north of
Acme, near the church of the Old Brethren. It is located
on ground donated by Jacob Cripe. Here are some of the
Butterbaugh, Karns, Cripes, Mishlers, Metzgers and
others of the church membership buried. It is owned and
well kept by the church.