Source: News-Journal, August 16, 1973, Centennial Section
Church Of Nazarene Started As Prayer Group At Tent Meet
The Church of the Nazarene, North Manchester, started as a prayer group. The First Church of the Nazarene held a tent meeting in town, and between the prayer group and the tent meeting an interest was raised for a Nazarene Church.
A Church was organized on Feb. 14, 1937 by J.W. Montgomery, District Superintendent, D.F. Steininger was the pastor. The church was meeting in an old house then near the present site of the church.
The house was moved and a basement dug. The church met in the basement for a while until the main structure of the church was completed while S.J. Roberts was pastor.
The main structure was built in 1943. The church is still meeting on this site at 504 West Main Street.
The parsonage remains at its original site 502 West Main Street though it was expanded to its present size in 1953.
An addition was built onto the front of the church in 1967 while Rev. Theron Hanes was pastor. A Fellowship Hall and garage combination was completed in the spring of 1971. Of the original charter members of the church only one remains Thelma Teel.
The present church membership is 80. Rev. Dean Mitchell is the current pastor.