Source: News-Journal, March 18, 1940
OLD PLEASANT LAND MARK TO BE SOLD
Sale of the 280 acre farm of Mrs. Rebecca Groninger estate in Pleasant township, was ordered Saturday by Judge Byron Kennedy in the partition action of some of the heirs, Mrs. Sarah Kline was appointed commissioner and George D. Garber is attorney. Division of the estate, as determined by Judge Kennedy is as follows:
To H.G. Groninger, Arthur D. Groninger, Mrs. Loa Schwenk, Mrs. Iva Butterbaugh, Sam L. Groninger and Roy L. Groninger, each one-tenth. The latter is a grandson, the only son of Otto Groninger, deceased son of Mrs. Groninger. To Mary Anderson, Naomi Mills and Harry Kramer, children of Winnie Groninger Kramer, deceased, each one-thirtieth. To Jacob Kramer, their father, nothing. To Galen Groninger, Marjorie Groninger, Opal Schipper and Ruby Groninger, children of Charles Groninger, deceased, each one-fortieth. To Walter G. Groninger, mabel Robinson, Carrie Groninger, children of Tom Groninger, deceased, no share. Sam Groninger's share is subject to a lien of $1,340 in favor of Frank Ireland and William L. Groninger's and Arthur D. Groninger's share is subject to a claim of $790 and $534 interest in favor of Emma Schwenk and George C. Baker.
With the exception of the Gamble farm of the South Pleasant neighborhood, it is probably no farm in Pleasant township has remained longer in the possession of one family. Leonard J. Groninger, founder of the family in Indiana, came here in 1841 from Ross county, Ohio. He purchased 120 acres in section 33, 5½ miles northwest of North Manchester of William M. Hood, who had entered 480 acres of that section December 11, 1835. Hood was evidently a speculator, for he sold the 120 acres to Mr. Groninger in 1838, and later sold part of his holdings to George Schwenk, founder of the Schwenk family in this locality. That 120 acres on the south side of the road, became the Groninger family home.
Mr. Groninger was born in 1808 in Juniata county, Pennsylvania. His great grandfather, John D. Groninger, came to this country from Germany in 1741. Leonard J. was a son of Leonard Groninger, Sr., who with his brothers, Joseph and Henry, were soldiers in the Revolutionary war. Leonard, Sr., was captured by the Indians and after running the gauntlet, was adopted by an Indian woman who had lost her son. He was a captive for some time, but managed to escape and made his way to Lewisburg. Leonard J. Groninger was married in 1831 to Winnie Piper. They were the parents of six children. Three of the children died in infancy, two daughters died in young womanhood, and only one son, Henry L. Groninger, lived to old age. Leonard Groninger died many years ago, but his widow lived until 1896, dying at the age of 95 or 96.
Henry L. Groninger married Rebecca Bussard, daughter of Samuel Bussard who had settled in Pleasant township in October, 1836. Mr. Bussard operated the first saw mill in that vicinity at Clear Creek near the Bussard school house. His first wife, mother of Mrs. Groninger, the late Mrs. L.J. Noftzger and the late Thomas A. Bussard, was Mary Lindemuth. The second wife of Mr. Bussard was Ann Knoop. Mr. Bussard had acquired 160 acres north of the road, directly opposite the Groninger farm, and through inheritance and purchase, this land passed into the ownership of Mr. and Mrs. Henry L. Groninger. Later a new home was built on the north side of the road, and it became the family home. This home is still in use, Earl Slack living on the farm.
Mr. Groninger served as road supervisor in Pleasant township for many years. He died in 1906. The widow continued to live on the farm for a number of years, later moving to town with her daughter, Mrs. Iva Butterbaugh. She died in 1934 at the age of 96, and the estate is now being settled by sale, since the land cannot be divided very well.