Source: North Manchester Journal, March 27, 1913


This has been a week of storm and storm damages. Following close upon the heels of the wind storm of Friday morning came the all-day rain of Sunday and the almost flood of Sunday night that was not unmixed with a great deal of wind. Much damage was done by this wind and the high water that followed. The rain of Monday afternoon and night still farther flooded things, and Tuesday Eel river was at a mark that had never been reached before unless there were ice jams in the river. In 1883 the water in the Ulrey mill was about a foot higher than it reached this time, but that was on account of an ice jam that held the water back at that particular place.

The heaviest loser probably from the flood will be W.D. Bruner, who owns the Riverside green house. Water broke over the levee about midnight Monday night, and there was little that could be done to save the property. His household goods were moved out of the house promptly, but in the green house there was nothing to do but let the water take its course.

The Eel River creamery was flooded and no work could be done there after Tuesday morning.

Andrew Ruse, living on Sycamore street, had to move from his house, as the water raised over the floor.

David Shock gave nine of his fat hogs a boat ride. They were caught in a pen that threatened to be flooded, and one by one were loaded into a boat and hauled to high ground. They seemed to enjoy the ride, and made no fuss after being put into the boat.

Tuesday morning there was nearly three feet of water in the pump pit at the water station, but a steam pump was rigged up that soon lowered the water.

High water south of Wabash stopped Big Four trains from the south. The trains from the north Tuesday ran to Wabash, and then turned around and came back. The Vandalia trains were greatly delayed, and most of them came by way of Peru instead of direct from Logansport. Most of the trains on the Wabash road were annulled.

There was danger of the grade going at the north end of the bridge on the Wabash road, but a lot of rock was dumped in and the leak stopped.

The North Manchester Milling company will lose quite heavily, as the water flooded the basement there.

Water got into the basement of the Syracuse factory and work had to be suspended for a day or two.

The water reached its highest stage, about nine o'clock Tuesday morning, and stood pretty well at that mark until about two o'clock, when it began to recede. By Wednesday morning it had fallen about two feet.

Boats were put into use by people in Riverside to get about their lots Tuesday, and many chickens were rescue3d that way. W.D. Bruner lost a dozen or more fine chickens.

The Riverside people were on an island, for Eel river and pony creek joined south of the bend, and it looked as if there was nearly as much of the river going through that as along the regular course.

Source: North Manchester Journal, March 27, 1913


This has been a week of storm and storm damages, but taking it all in all North Manchester people have reason to be thankful they are as well situated as they are, and at the same time to have a sympathetic feeling for the people less favored. While the damages here have been heavy in the aggregate, yet there have been no lives lost, nor has there been any amount of physical suffering. Many inconveniences have resulted, and business has been almost at a stand still during the week. There has been little going on and little for the people to talk about but storm and flood damages. It has brought people to see how much they depend upon the mails, the railroads, the telegraphs and the telephones, and to more fully than ever understand their relation and depending upon their neighbors.

There are some here who have lost heavily. The loss that falls upon W.D. Bruner, of the Riverside green house will be hard to calculate in dollars and cents. Stock has been destroyed there that will take many months to replace. The results of much hard work have been swept away, and they have the sympathy of the many friends and business associates they have made here during their stay in the city.

The next heavy losers are probably the members of the General John A. Logan Grand Army post. The roof from their hall has been torn away, leaving their property at the mercy of he rain. The organization too is practically without funds to repair the damage. At best, it is known that the Grand Army of the Republic can have but a comparatively few more years to live, and it seems hard that this additional burden should come upon them.

Source: North Manchester Journal, April 3, 1913


The Eel River Valley Creamery company suffered in two places during the flood of last week. Water was two feet deep in the creamery here and about seven feet deep in the creamery at Wabash. The damage here was trivial to that at Wabash, for a great deal of dirt and slime was washed into that building, and many packing cases were destroyed.

Source: North Manchester Journal, April 3, 1913


The Western Union telegraph company brought good news to lots of people here Sunday. All week from the Sunday before the instruments in the local office had been dead, but Sunday connections were made, and more than eighty messages were received, most of them coming from people who had been in the flooded districts of various towns and who were letting their folks here know they had escaped. The bunch of messages lifted a gloom of fear from many homes in North Manchester. But by Monday the wires were dead again, and no connection could be had that day with outside points.

Source: North Manchester Journal, March 27, 1913


The oldest resident does not remember ever seeing old Eel river on as high a rampage as at this time.

Source: North Manchester Journal, March 27, 1913


No lives were lost at Wabash, but people there are suffering the greatest inconvenience. Hundreds have been driven from their homes in the lowlands, and are staying with friends who are more fortunately situated. Business is at a standstill. There is no electricity for lights and there is no water for drinking purposes, while the town would be at the mercy of fire should flames start.

Source: North Manchester Journal, March 27, 1917


Conditions at Logansport and Peru are beyond description. The water is over the main business streets of both of those towns, and the majority of homes have been touched, while many of them are submerged and the residents have had to seek shelter elsewhere. There is no question that many lives have been lost in the lowlands about these towns of which nothing is known. Bodies were picked up at Logansport Wednesday that were thought to have drifted from Peru, while bodies from Logansport have probably drifted farther down.

A lot of boats from Winona were hurried to Peru Tuesday to be used in life saving work. Homeless people are being cared for at the court house, which is about the only building about town that is out of water. There were nearly a thousand people there Wednesday evening, and the sanitary conditions are so bad that disease is feared, while the problem of feeding them is a difficult one. Waterworks and power plants have been out of commission since Tuesday.

At Logansport the Culver cadets have been added to the rescuing corps, and their staunch boats with well trained crews have done excellent work.

Wabash is without power, light and city water. Business is practically suspended, and hundreds of people have been driven from their homes. However, there are enough homes in the higher part of town so that all may be cared for in them, while Peru and Logansport are not so fortunately situated, a bigger percent of their homes being in the flooded districts.