Source: News-Journal, August 16, 1973, Centennial Section
Liberty Mills 1838
The land on which Liberty Mills is situated was originally entered by a man named James Abbott. He sold it to Mr. McBride who later sold it to John Comstock. He founded the town in 1838.
Comstock was engaged in many enterprises, and this drew trade from many miles around in the circuit.
Erastus Bingham opened another store in 1842 and also established a potash manufactory. For a while this enterprise flourished but met with some misfortunes and finally closed.
The first merchant tailors were John Whisler and Bro. They began in 1843. The senior members later moved to North Manchester.
Some of the early merchants and businessmen were John Cordier, Flouring Mill; C.T. Banks, Crugs; Miss Nellie Martin, Millinery; Mrs. A.E. Banks, Physician; Dr. A.J. Carpenter, Blacksmith; D.B. Long, Blacksmith; Michael Cook, Meat Market; and David Hartman, harness Shop.