Source: News-Journal, August 16, 1973, Centennial Section
Liberty Mills Church Founded In 1893
Liberty Mills United Methodist Church has undergone several consolidations since its founding in 1893.
The church was organized as a United Brethren Church in 1893 at a meeting conducted by Frank Overmeyer at Manchester College. some 40 members were at the meeting.
Rev. C.J. Miner served as first pastor. Some of the charter members were Mr. and Mrs. Jake Refuse, Mr. and Mrs. Jake Auker, Mr. and Mrs. Herbert Coblentz, Mr. and Mrs. John Copeland, Mr. and Mrs. John Clemens, Mr. and Mrs. Abriann Burton, Mr. and Mrs. Natt Kissinger, Sam Scott, Elizabeth Enyeart, Nancy Baublet, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Knoop and LaRue Parker.
During Rev. Miner's first year at Liberty Mills the United Brethren Church in Laketon was formed and he served both churches.
The Liberty Mills church made it possible for several young men to enter the ministry by going to Manchester College and serving as ministers to the Liberty Mills church. These ministers included Paul Garner, Joe Penrod, Ross Cook, Bob Givens, Howard Rees and others.
In 1945 the church was remodeled, raised and a basement and four Sunday School rooms added.
Several members and families have been associated with the church for over 50 years. They include Mrs. Lawrence Auker, Mr. and Mrs. Cuba Helvey, Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Morrisey, and Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Coblentz.
Present minister to the church is Rev. Leonard Custer who was chosen to serve the church last June.