NEWSLETTER OF THE NORTH MANCHESTER HISTORICAL SOCIETY, INC.
Volume XXXII, No. 1, February 2015
NEWSLETTER OF THE NORTH MANCHESTER HISTORICAL SOCIETY, INC.
HISTORICAL PERSPECTIVES ON LOT NO. 21
(ORIGINAL PLAT OF NORTH MANCHESTER)
by John Knarr
The recent demolition of the building (next to Mr. Dave’s Restaurant) at 106 East Main Street in North Manchester has prompted this review of the history, ownership and business activities at this site. The author researched Wabash County Courthouse deed records, newspaper accounts, and census records.1
In the original plat surveyed by J.J. Tomlinson (recorded January 4, 1837), lots were 4 ¾ perches wide by 9 ½ perches deep, except for the fractional lots. In land measurement, one perch equaled 16.5 feet, the length of one pole or rod.
Lot No. 21 was situated at the northeast corner of Main and Market Streets. Between Market Street and the alley to the east were Lots No. 21 and No. 22.
The “proprietor” of Manchester was Peter Ogan. Ogan sold Lots 21 and 22 to Joseph Harter on October 22, 1836. Harter paid $50 for these two undeveloped lots. The original plat of Manchester with lots numbered-
More Early Owners of Lot 21 (102-104-106-108 East Main Street):
On July 13, 1844, the Harters sold Lot 21 to Jesse Davis for $30. In the 1850 Federal Census, Jesse Davis was listed as a Druggist, living in Huntington, Indiana, age 39, having $1100 real estate value.
On June 14, 1847, Davis sold Lot 21 to William Mowrer for $275. The price increase indicated some improvement and construction had been done at this site. In the 1860-1861 Indiana State Gazetteer and Business Directory, Mowrer was listed as a boot and shoe maker. In 1864-1865 Mowrer was listed as a clothing dealer.
On January 5, 1854, Mowrer sold Lot 21 to Franklin Templin and Benjamin Wise for $900.
Benjamin Wise sold to Franklin Templin his undivided half of Lot 21 on February 3, 1855, for $400.
The Templins sold to Charles O. Barrett (Barratt) Lot 21 on October 8, 1856, for $1000.
On February 4, 1858, the Barretts sold back to the Templins Lot 21 for $850.2 In the 1858-59 Indiana State Gazetteer and Business Directory, Franklin Templin was listed as having a general store in North Manchester. A general store was defined as having Dry Goods, Groceries, Hardware, Queensware. In the 1850 Federal Census, Franklin Templin was identified as “C.S. Clergyman”, age 33. In the 1860 Census, Templin was listed as age 43, living in North Manchester.
Historical Note: According to the 1860 Federal Census, the owner of the Marshall House, M.S. Marshall, Daniel’s brother, was a neighbor to the Templins, William Mowrer, Krishers, and George Little.
At a sheriff’s sale on August 11, 1860, Lot 21 was sold to John Hough, Jr., for $300. John Hough was an attorney living in Fort Wayne in 1860, age 40.3
The Templins were given rights to 37 feet of the east side of Lot 21. They signed on April 5, 1862, a Quit Claim Deed for $500 to John Hough, thereby relinquishing any rights of the Templins to the western part of Lot 21.
Explanatory Note: This Civil War period provided the first instance of a division to Lot 21. The eastern 37 feet included the ground occupied by the recent Kennedy-Lucas building, the old cigar factory, and Silver Creek Printing building.
The Templins sold to Samuel Wertenberger on November 5, 1862, the 37 feet on the east side of Lot 21 for $250. In the 1860-1861 and 1864-1865 Indiana State Gazetteer and Business Directory, Samuel Wertenberger was listed as a saddle and harness maker.
Wertenberger sold to John Herr on March 17, 1865, for $1500 the 37 feet of the east side of Lot 21.
Herr sold to Nettie Krisher on December 15, 1868, for $550 the 20 feet of the entire east side of Lot 21.
Explanatory Note: This transaction constituted further division of Lot 21.
On June 19, 1872, Joseph H. Bonner and his wife, the former Nettie Krisher) sold to Samuel Mylin for $1200 the 20 feet on the entire east side. In the 1860 Federal Census, Samuel Mylin, age 21, was listed as son of Christian, living in Chester Township.
On August 8, 1872, the Mylins sold to Elias Blickenstaff and John J. Martin the 20 feet off the east side of Lot 21 for $1200. Blickenstaff and Martin “took possession of their handsome new room (one door west of their old stand) and filled it up with a large assortment of Drugs and light Groceries, including Watermelons and Sody Water.”4 In the 1875-76 Swartz, Tedrowe & Tilford’s Indiana State Directory, the Blickenstaff Bros. were listed as druggist and jewelers. J.J. Martin had a listing as photographer. In 1874, S.J. Holley was a craftsman recruited by Blickenstaff to service the clocks, watches and jewelry that had been added to the Blickenstaff drug stock.5 Holley was the artist who painted the work hanging in the Indiana Room of the North Manchester Public Library. There were several sons in the John and Harriat Blickenstaff household (1860 Federal Census), including Elias, Samuel, Jacob and Joseph.
On April 18, 1873, the Martins sold to Elias Blickenstaff their undivided half interest in the 20 feet off the east side of Lot 21. In the 1882-83 Indiana State Gazetteer and Business Directory, Elias A. Blickenstaff was listed as having a dairy.
On September 16, 1873, Elias Blickenstaff sold to Stephen W. Jenks Sr. and Chauncey Hamilton for $2000 an undivided half of the 20 feet off the east side of Lot 21.6 This transaction included Blickenstaff’s drug store (goods and house). Possession was given to Dr. Hamilton in July, 1873, a short period before the deed was actually signed.7 In the 1870 Federal Census, Hamilton was identified as a Physician, age 29, living in Warren, Huntington County, Indiana.
On February 20, 1875, Chauncy Hamilton and his wife Susan sold their undivided half of the 20 feet off the east side of Lot 21 to Stephen W. Jenks Sr. It was reported in the local newspaper that E.A. Blickenstaff had re-purchased in 1874 the drug business he had sold to Hamilton the year before.8
On October 6, 1877, Stephen W. Jenks and his wife Sarah J. sold the 20 feet wide off the east side of Lot 21 to Jacob Lines for $2000.
On November 1, 1877, Jacob Lines & Rachel A. Lines, his wife sold to Beverly W. Tyner for $2000 the east 20 feet.
Beverly W. Tyner and Sarah C. Tyner, his wife, sold to Jesse J. Tyler on February 13, 1878, the property for $2000. In the 1880-81 Indiana State Gazetteer and Business Directory, Jesse J. Tyler was listed as having a carriage repository.
On May 27, 1878, Jesse J. Tyler sold to Lydia E. Fanning for $4400 the east 20 feet of Lot 21.
On February 25, 1880, Jesse J. Tyler and wife (the former Lydia E. Fanning) sold the property for $2000 to Jacob M. and Nancy M. Jennings. In the 1875-76 Swartz, Tedrowe & Tilford’s Indiana State Directory, J.M. Jennings was listed as having a grocery and restaurant. Jennings was listed as a grocer in the 1880-81 Indiana State Gazetteer and Business Directory, and as having a general store in the 1882-83 Directory. Jennings and Sheller were listed as grocers in the 1884-85 Directory. J.M. Jennings was listed as a grocer and baker in the 1887 Indiana State Gazetteer and Business Directory published by R.L. Polk.
On September 8, 1887, Nancy J. Ridgley purchased the property for $2000 from Jacob M. Jennings and his wife. Nancy J. Ridgley was listed as having a millinery store in the 1882-83, 1884-85, 1887 and 1890 Directories. Nancy Ridgley advertised hats, lace, bonnets, jewelry, and “fancy goods”.
On September 2, 1891, Nancy J. Ridgley and John B. Ridgley, her husband. sold the property to Jonathan B. Ridgley for $2200. Jonathan B. Ridgley was brother to John B. Ridgley.9 On December 17, 1894, Jonathan B. Ridgley and Mary E. Ridgley, his wife, sold the property back to John B. Ridgley. John B. and Nancy J. Ridgley then sold the property to Mary E. Ridgley for same amount $2200 and deed also dated December 17, 1894. On January 3, 1899, Mary E. (Elizabeth) Ridgley & Jonathan B. Ridgley, her husband once again sold the real estate to John B. Ridgley. The Ridgleys became embroiled in several lawsuits regarding mortgages, property titles and many liens were filed against the east 20 feet of Lot 21. Legal proceedings took place in the Circuit Court of Wabash County to “quiet title”. An historically significant affidavit by Joseph B. Harter was filed on August 29, 1900, which outlined the chain of title. The Court ruled on November 3, 1900, that “the title thereto ought to be quieted and put at rest in said plaintiff John B. Ridgley. It is therefore considered and decreed by the Court that said plaintiff, John B. Ridgley, is the owner in fee simple of the real estate herein described….”
Dated March 26, 1902, John B. Ridgley leased to Burrows R. Johnson for $30 per month the east 20 feet of Lot 21.
Dated March 11, 1909, John B. Ridgely leased first floor only of two story building to Emanuel L. Mort and Harry Mort, doing business under the firm name of E.L. Mort & Son. Ridgley agrees to erect on the north end of the lot “a warehouse, or building two stories. The first floor or story which is to be included in this lease, and is to be used by said Mort & Son.”10
John B. Ridgley sold to his daughter Audrey E. Henney the property, east 20 feet including the brick building on the north part of the lot, April 11, 1917, “subject to a mortgage calling for $2500 given by John B. Ridgley to Noah Garber and current taxes.”
Dated October 1, 1918, Administrator’s Deed, Noah Garber purchased property for $3400. Union Trust Company was the Administrator of the estate of Audrey E. Henney, deceased.
On January 24, 1921, Noah Garber sold the property to Glen M. Keppler for $3200. Keppler owned the Milton Electric Brooder Co. and a furnace company (Wabash County Partnership Book, p. 200, 245).
On May 18, 1928, Glen M. Keppler and Opal Keppler, his wife, sold property to Floyd E. Sims. Sims leased the property to different business owners; some readers may recall the time when a pool hall existed on the premises and a business called “Playmore Recreation Center”. At one time in the 1940s the building at 108 E. Main Street was torn down and rebuilt.
On August 23, 1955, Floyd E. and Bertie M. Sims sold to Fred A. Barnes, on land contract.11 Property was conveyed to Fred A. and Betty Barnes by warranty deed on March 4, 1961. Subsequent owners of the property at 108 East Main were Paul L. and Elvadene Frieden; James W. and Shirley Mishler; John and Bea Knarr (MicroWorld Computers); Keith Ring (Silver Creek Printing). The cigar factory was acquired by the North Manchester Historical Society in 2010; and the refurbished building was then sold to Mark Phillabaum in 2011. In 1983, former owner Fred Barnes shared with John Knarr several stories and anecdotes about the old cigar factory.
The west 40.38 feet of Lot No. 21 (102-104 East Main Street):
On March 24, 1864, the Houghs sold to Michael Henney the west 40.38 feet of Lot No. 21 for $1000. Henney carried on a tin business on the northeast corner of Main and Market Streets. This corner became known as “Henney’s Corner”. The Harter brothers (Jacob & J.B.) occupied the Henney room on the corner for a few years in the post-Civil War period and sold merchandise. The Harters then built a brick building to the east on Lot 22 which became known as the Harter Drug Store.12 A fire destroyed the four frame business buildings on Lot 21 fronting Main Street.13 The fire apparently originated in the rear of the two-story building owned by Benjamin Oppenheim.14 These structures were replaced with other buildings after 1900. The Henney children were artistically inclined and painted the opera curtains having local advertising circa 1910.
On January 13, 1916, Michael Henney’s heirs, Louisa Henney and Charles E. Henney sold for $3500 the west 40.38 feet of Lot 21 to Annie B. Tobin.
On June 4, 1920, Annie B. Tobin sold to the United Owners Supply Co. for $3800 the west 40.38 of Lot 21. According to the Articles of Incorporation, the “object and purposes of this Association shall be… the buying and selling of all automobile products and parts and all goods and merchandise connected therewith; and the buying and selling of gasoline and oil and all other articles common to the automobile trade; and the owning of real estate for the purpose of conducting the business contemplated herein. (Article 3)” The incorporators were O.V. Sholty (Wabash), Robert R. Batton (Wabash), and Howard W. Rager (North Manchester).
On April 7, 1922, the United Owners Supply Co. of North Manchester sold to the Standard Oil Co. for $10,000 the west 40.38 feet of Lot 21. In March 1961 title was transferred to The American Oil Co., a Maryland corporation, and a wholly owned subsidiary of Standard Oil Company, an Indiana corporation. On December 1972, the name was changed from The American Oil Co. to Amoco Oil Company, a Maryland corporation. Russ Michael ran the service station (Mike’s) from 1925 until he retired on August 23, 1973. In 1935 or 1936 the little brick station was built. In his 1975 oral interview, Michael explained that the Blackmore cigar factory next door existed before he began operating the Standard Oil operation in 1925. While gasoline could be purchased at other outlets such as grocery stores, Michael’s gas station was the “first real gas station” in North Manchester. In his oral interview, Michael recalled the activities next door at 106 East Main. When Michael first came to town, a feed store, Acme Grain Co. run by Old Daddy Wright, existed; then the Bolinger tin shop; and in the 1940s, the tire or recapping shop run by Charlie Kennedy and his son-in-law Niblett, and later by Frank Lucas.
On August 17, 1973, the Amoco Oil Company sold to William H. Poston and wife Iona D. the west 40.38 feet of Lot 21.
David and Shirley Clapp purchased the property from the Postons on November 1, 1973, and Mr. Dave’s Restaurant was founded.
The Property Strip Recently Razed (106 East Main Street):
On January 29, 1872, John and Harriet Herr sold to D.S. Miller (of Decatur, Adams Co.) the property existing between the 20 foot strip on the east side of Lot 21 and the 40 foot strip to the west at the corner of Main and Market Streets. The width of this property was about seventeen feet.15 In the 1875-76 Swartz, Tedrowe & Tilford’s Indiana State Directory, D.S. Miller was listed as selling groceries and queensware. Daniel S. Miller was also listed as a grocer in the 1880-1881, 1882-83, and 1884-85 Indiana State Gazetteer and Business Directories.
On June 5, 1888, Benjamin Oppenheim acquired the seventeen foot wide property for $1226.16
On July 21, 1903, Benjamin Oppenheim sold to J.J. Tyler and wife for $1500 this fractional part of Lot 21.
On April 14, 1904, the Tylers sold to Levi Eikenberry this part of Lot 21 for $2500.
Levi and Florinza J. Eikenberry sold to John H. and Ida M. Fouts this part of Lot 21 for $3000 on October 6, 1908.
The Fouts then sold to Audrey Henney, unmarried (divorced), formerly Audrey Ridgley, the property for $3500.
Audrey Henney sold the property to Samuel T. Oldfather on March 6, 1917.17
Samuel T. Oldfather and wife Sarah E. Oldfather sold on October 22, 1921, the seventeen-foot wide property to the Acme Grain Company for $3200.18 Oldtimers recall when horse-pulled farm wagons would enter the building off the alley to the north and actually pass through the building towards the south, exiting the front of the building after having loaded or sold their grain.
On November 1, 1937, the Acme Grain Co. sold to Clyde and Ruth Bolinger this property for $1500.
On October 3, 1943, Clyde Bolinger19 sold the property to Charles O. Kennedy. Kennedy Tire Service started in 1943; partners were Charles O. Kennedy and Emma M. Kennedy; A.R. Niblett and Ada B. Niblett.
On February 11, 1946, Charles O. Kennedy sold the property to his partner, Ambrose R. Niblett.
In 1949 Frank B. Lucas became owner of Kennedy-Lucas Tire Service.
On February 6, 1952, the property was sold by Niblett to Grace Wright. Fred Lucas and, more recently, George Scheerer subsequently became the property owners. This property was then purchased by Mark Phillabaum,20 and razed to provide a walkway with gardens. Phillabaum intends to make improvements to the former cigar factory that has also been known as the Ridgley Building since the Ridgley family had it built in 1909. The Blackmore Cigar factory existed in the early 1920s and was operated by Karl Morris. The Ridgleys had no connection to the Blackmore operation inasmuch as John, Nancy and their daughter Audrey had passed away before 1920. John B. Ridgley was a Civil War veteran who lost his eyesight near the end of the conflict. The North Manchester Historical Society acquired this tall brick building in 2010 from Keith Ring. The Historic Homes Preservation Group helped in preserving it by having the masonry tuck pointed, adding a new roof and covering open windows with local art work. In September of 2011 the building was sold to Mark Phillabaum.
1 The following publications were researched, compiled and published in 2014 by John Knarr. These books are accessible at the Indiana Historical Society Library (Indianapolis), Archives at the Wabash County Historical Museum, and North Manchester Center for History: Notarized Certificates of Business—Firms & Owners 1922-1963 in the North Manchester Area; Occupations, Professions and Business Licenses (1862-1866) in Chester & Pleasant Townships, Wabash County; Early Mills & Manufacturers in the North Manchester Area (1850-1860); Incomes in 1864 (Wabash County, Indiana); North Manchester Business Directories (1846-1929).
2 In July 18, 1890, Charles O. Barrett and his wife Sarah lived in Sarpy County, Nebraska. In the 1850 Federal Census, Barrett was listed as a Farmer living in Clay Township, Kosciusko County; in 1860 he was listed as a Farmer living in Pleasant Township, Wabash County, Age 39.
3 1860 U.S. Federal Census. Hough
’s real estate value was listed at $10,000 and his personal estate, $2000.
4 The Manchester Republican, September 7, 1872.
5 The Manchester Republican, April 30, 1874.
6 In 1892, Elias and Ada Blickenstaff were living in Marion County, Indiana (Indianapolis). E.A. Blickenstaff purchased an interest in the Clemans insurance agency and returned to North Manchester. A display ad for the Clemans & Blickenstaff Real Estate, Insurance & Loans can be found in the Wabash County Directory for 1894.
7 The Manchester Republican, July 31, 1873.
8 The Manchester Republican, March 26, 1874.
9 See T.B. Helm, History of Wabash County (1884), p. 296.
10 See page 186 of Miscellaneous Record “V”, Wabash County Recorder.The brick building built in 1909 later became a cigar factory and rooming house. Marion V. Grim was the builder; the Indiana Brick Company provided the bricks; the North Manchester Lumber Company, the lumber.
11 Floyd Sims lived in Mishawaka, St. Joseph County, Indiana, in 1949. He died on February 23, 1956.
12 North Manchester Journal, February 4, 1909; obituary of Jacob Harter (1829-1909).
13 North Manchester Journal, August 21, 1890.
14 North Manchester Journal, August 21, 1890.
15 The Herrs moved to Lawrence, Douglas Co., Kansas.
16 As a result of a lawsuit, the property was sold to Oppenheim, and Oppenheim was given a “Commissioner’s Deed” by Daniel Sala. Ben Oppenheim’s father Jacob had earlier purchased property on the adjacent Lot No. 22 from the Heeters. Jacob’s deed was dated March 10, 1881. Jacob paid $3000 for the brick building situated on the “East Twenty and one half foot wide of the entire length of the West half of Lot No. 22.” Oppenheim later moved his business to buildings east of the alley on the same block.
17 Samuel Oldfather (1847-1928) and his wife Sarah (1857-1953) were instrumental in establishing the Christian Science Church in North Manchester. See NMHS Newsletter, May 1987.
18 Officers of the Acme Grain Company who signed the deed were: Joseph S. Lessig, President, and Francis K. Bowser, Secretary-Treasurer.
19 Clyde Bolinger was a brother to Alvin and an uncle to Harold Bolinger.
20 News-Journal, February 4, 2015.
2014 Annual Fund Contributors
Thank you to the people who supported the North Manchester Historical Society and the North Manchester Center for History with cash gifts made in 2014 to our Annual Fund. The Annual Fund pays our on-going operating expenses each year. We appreciated this assistance, because as a not-for-profit we cannot serve this community with our museum, educational programs, research, and artifact collecting without your help.
Please be aware that gifts to the Annual Fund are different from membership, which provides specific benefits to the members such as free museum admission and newsletters. If you recently renewed your membership, you will be listed as a member in our May newsletter.
Please let us know if there are any corrections to be made, and we will be happy to make them.
And thank you again for your support!
Covered Bridge Guild $2,500+
The Paul L. Speicher Foundation
Town of North Manchester Façade Improvement Program
Thomas Marshall Circle $1,000+
Ford Meter Box Foundation
David and Patty Grant
Bob and Sally Krouse
North Manchester Fine Arts Club
Ralph and Becky Naragon
Estate of Virginia Spencer
Tom and Eloise Brown
Gordon and Darlene Bucher
Jim and Debbie Chinworth
Dan and Susan Manwaring
Andy and Betty Butterbaugh
Barry and Arlene Deardorff
John and Gayle Forrester
Warren and Helen Garner
Kappa, Kappa, Kappa
John and Bea Knarr
Karl and Bonnie Dee Merritt
Roger and Jill Morphew
Daniel and Tracy Myers
Shepherd’s Chevrolet, Inc.
Thomas and Jane Ann Airgood
Charles and Dagney Boebel
Bob and Martha Bowman
Dennis and Rosemary Butler
Daniel and Marsha Croner
Drs. J.R. and Barbara Damron
Ron and Harriet Finney
Richard and Nancy Frantz
Art and Ellen Gilbert
Steve and Lila Hammer
HF Group LLC
Bob and Stephanie Jones
Carl and Lois Lemna
Manchester Veterinary Clinic
Ed and Martha Miller
Jim and Shirley Mishler
North Manchester Moose 1518
Phil and Mary Orpurt
Roger and Marcie Parker
Brian and Jennifer Pattison
Roger and Kathy Presl
Michael and Heidi Slavkin
James and Barbara Stewart
Kent and Lisa Ulrey
Joe and Mary Vogel
David and Becky Waas
Wetzel Insurance Agency
Keith and JoAnn Wing
Leland and Angilee Beery
Bob and Lois Dowd
Bob and Peggy Gilbert
Charles and Susie Klingler
Manchester Central HS Class of 1949
Metzger Landscaping & Design
Dan and Weebe Naragon
Eric and Jennifer Reichenbach
Todd and Linda Richards
Bob and Robin Shepherd
Silver Creek Printing
Dan and Barbara Speicher
Bill and Becky Steele
David and Margaret Bagwell
Mary Louise Briner-Reist
Mary Lou Brown
Bart and Phyllis Coricelli
Lamoine and Nan Gemmer
Grandstaff Funeral Service
Russell and Joann Hoover
Sam and Carol Leckrone
Scott and Deb Manges
Dave and Teresa Migliorini
Bruce and Marilyn Pottenger
David and Shirley Rogers
Jo Ann Schall
Jack and Deb Vineyard
In memory of Susan Klingler
In Memory of Karl Merritt
2014 In-Kind Gifts
In-Kind Gifts are non-cash goods or services provided to the Historical Society in lieu of payment or other obligations.
The HF Group
David Hippensteel – Riverbridge Electric
John and Bea Knarr
Silver Creek Printing
2014 Endowment Fund Contributors
Endowment Funds at the Community Foundation of Wabash County are invested to provide perpetual income for the Center for History, Historical Society, and Thomas Marshall House.
Andy and Betty Butterbaugh
David and Patty Grant
Source: North Manchester Journal, September 14, 1893
Jacob Harter, as his more intimate friends have been aware for some time, has become quite an expert woodworker in his old age. He has just finished up a fine side-board which is hard to beat, and has made many handsome and useful articles of furniture lately.
NMHS Program Schedule for 2015
Jan 12 Annual Membership Meeting & Natural History Video
Feb 9 Steve Olsen, North Manchester Real Time/Facebook
Mar 9 Margaret Fritzel, Laura Ingalls Wilder
Apr 13 Ferne Baldwin, Hessians & the American Revolution
May 11 Clyde
Lovellette , Basketball & Life
, Basketball & Life
Jun 8 Jennifer Capps, Benjamin Harrison Site
Jul 13 Shirley Willard, Potawatomi Woman on Trail of Death
Aug 10 Nancy Reed, John Comstock & Liberty Mills
Sep 14 David Waas, Flood of 1913
Oct 12 Jim Adams & Thelma Rohrer, Daniel Garber-Artist
Storytellers --Gladys Airgood, Linda Pyle, Mac McKinley
--Gladys Airgood, Linda Pyle, Mac McKinley
Dec 14 Peabody Entertainers, Christmas Music
The programs will be held in the Assembly Room of Timbercrest Senior Living Community, 2201 East Street, at 6:40 p.m. There is no cost for the program, which is free to the public. All are welcome. While many attend only the program, the public is also invited to come to the Assembly Room at 6 p.m. for a meal prior to the presentation. For those who wish to attend the dinner, reservations must be made no later than noon on Friday before the program. The cost of the meal is $8.50. The cost of the meal for Timbercrest residents with a meal plan is $3.50. Reservations may be made by calling Evelyn at 260-982-6777, Mary at 260-982-1813, or the Center for History at 260-982-0672.