Volume IX, Number 2 (May 1992)

By L.Z. Bunker, M.D. Retired

As we reminisce about the early days of North Manchester, the name “The Young Hotel” often comes up.

This aged structure, once located at 115 West Main Street, was built by the Siling brothers, Tighlman, born in 1826 in Maryland, and Milton, born in 1829 in Ohio.  They were living in South Whitley as late as 1854, being listed as “Furniture makers in Indiana” of that year.

About 1856-1857 the brothers came to North Manchester and built the large three-story building, two stories a furniture factory and the third the Masonic Hall.  Here they manufactured tables, chairs, cupboards and wooden coffins.  None of this furniture was marked, as far as we know, and there is no record of it remaining in the community.

In 1858 Tighlman I. Siling built a residence at 202 West Second Street which still stands in very good condition.  He was so enamored with the Greek Revival style that he built his home in this form although the style had been abandoned over most of the country.  Until a search was made the house was considered to be 20 or so years older than it really was.

We have no pictures of the building at 115 West Main Street in its earliest days, but, being a factory, it was probably without the cornices, pilasters and doorway of the residence, although the roof did evidence the double-back of the Greek Revival period.

Come the Civil War, April, 1861, Tighlman I. Siling organized a militia company, was elected captain, and left here permanently.  His family also left North Manchester.  Siling remained with the armed forces during the war but with another command.  He returned here many years later to a G.A. R. Reunion.  At that time he was living in Kansas [see Newsletter, May 1988.]  What became of his brother is not known.

Joel Tilman, probably a relative of Silings, was operating the business in 1861.  It continued as a furniture and coffin factory into the 1870’s.  When Saul Argerbright and his numerous family were in charge they continued in the coffin and building trades into the 1890’s, having built the George Leffel house in 1892 on the northwest corner of Main and Maple, still standing.

The third floor of the building was occupied by the Masonic Lodge until 1872 when they moved to the new L.J. Noftzger building on the south side of Main Street.  Later occupants of the Siling building were the Independent Order of Good Templars, the Knights of Honour, and the Plowman’s Insurance Company.  In the late 1870’s the factory was purchased by a Mr. Bone and all three floors were converted into a hotel.  Soon after it was sold to a member of the Keller family and called Keller Hotel.  In 1884 it was purchased by Shelby Saxton who continued to operate it until near 1900 when it was purchased by Mitchel King, a very small but feisty man who had been a cavalryman in the Civil War.

He was host for a few years, followed by Freeman Fox who called the establishment the “Fox House.”  Its last name came from “Brigham” Young, the owner until about 1911 when Mr. and Mrs. Frank Dunbar took over the management but did not change the name.

Charles Franklin Dunbar was the son of Samuel Dunbar, a Civil War veteran, and was brought up on Front Street in North Manchester.  His wife was Mabel Johns who grew up on a farm near Liberty Mills.  Frank Dunbar, as he was known, was a veteran of the Spanish-American War.  Frank died in 1939 but Mrs. Dunbar continued to operate the Hotel until the disastrous fire of February 25, 1943.

As we look back on the old hotel, converted to a hostelry from a wood-working plant, it was not attractive or even quaint.  It was a foursquare hotel building, extending the width of the lot and directly on the sidewalk.  There were no architectural embellishments, and it had no shutters or porch.  Many renovations had covered the early frame siding with brown stucco and later, tan brick.  There was a slate roof, probably dating after the 1870’s, as slate was brought here by the railroads.

Several huge maple trees grew at the curb, and a couple of benches sat in front of the building.  There were no flowers or bushes. All was clean but strictly utilitarian, inside and out.

To the south of the old building there was a two-story addition which housed the large dining room and kitchen, with sleeping rooms above.  This was put on during the Dunbars’ tenure.

One entered directly into the lobby, an irregular shaped room with several posts and beams in the ceiling.  A clerk’s desk and safe and a small cigar case made up its furnishings.  The east end of the lobby was taken up by a large table, surrounded by arm chairs.  Here a card game was said to have gone on for a third of a century!

The establishment could well have been called a residence hotel in the 1890’s.  Traveling engineers, putting in waterworks, electric facilities and paving, came through the Midwest, staying at our location for some time.  They often brought their wives and children and lived at local hotels.  When the North Manchester standpipe was built in 1894, several engineers came from Bucyrus, Ohio, and stayed all summer.

“Traveling men” with great sample trunks, fanned out from New York City, showing goods to Midwest merchants, in hotel sample rooms.  Sometimes a dining room was used as a sample room.

Travel until the 1940’s and later was by train, and hotel guests were transported from the two railroad stations in Bill Keel’s two-horse hack and, by the 1930’s, in a motor taxi.

Famous people came to the hotel---William Jennings Bryan; Robert G. Ingersoll; later, Theodore Dreiser; Franklin Booth, the artist; humorists, Bill Nye and Opie Reed.  The summer Chautauqua lecture series brought many noted people.  V. Steffanson, the Arctic explorer, was among them.  Edna Ferber the novelist, her maid and her chauffeur, stayed there, but North Manchester didn’t figure in any of her novels!  At fair time there were theatrical troupes and the harness racing crowd.

Mrs. Dunbar’s fine cooking attracted many guests.  A country fare was served, such as roast turkeys and chicken, rounds of beef, country sausage, mushrooms and strawberries in season, and her specialty, maple syrup ice cream made from real maple syrup.

Everyone sat at a long table and maids passed the heavy dishes.  A huge sideboard stood at the end of the room, laden with pie, “covered, uncovered, and crisscross,” also luscious chocolate coconut cakes.

News of such bounty spread in the early days of motor travel, and the Young Hotel was a recommended stop on the Hoosier-Dixie Highway, the first marked motor highway in the United States, extending from Detroit, Michigan, to Miami, Florida.

The tradition of the Young Hotel as a residence continued into the 1920’s and 1930’s.  In 1925, John Spurgeon, a Civil War veteran and a handsome man at a great age, made the hotel his home, as did Max Drefkopf, a Russian émigré who operated the Syracuse Factory where screens, wooden grilles and cedar chests were made.  Another resident was Louis Conner who ran a taxi.  In palmier days he was the agent for the Stanley Steamer Automobile Company.  And, of course, there were numerous other people.

The Kiwanis met here from their beginning, along with many clubs and informed groups.

The furnishings were not remarkable in the hotel’s later years by the Mission, near Mission and golden oak which has become popular today.  There was none of the earlier Eastlake or rosewood or even Shaker furniture to be seen.  The Dunbars had a nice suite on the second floor, and there was a nice suite with a davenport and a piano on the first floor.

Dr. George Shoemaker owned the hotel in the late 1920’s and early 1930’s.  He lived in Louisiana but would return occasionally and occupy his suite from which he saw old medical patients!

The Dunbars were a kindly couple, often assisted by Mr. Dunbar’s sister, Mrs. Emma Gilbert.  Mr. Dunbar, a short, obese man in poor health, was not often out of the hotel.  When he was, he was often carrying a tin container of soup to an ill neighbor or friend.  They fed tramps, sent extra food to the needy, and made a home for two orphaned children of one of their cooks for several years, among other kindnesses.

Mr. Dunbar died in 1939, and Mrs. Dunbar continued the hostelry until the fateful day of February 25, 1943, when the ancient structure fell victim to its many reconstructions.  

An overheated furnace caused a fire in a cubby hole which was put out.  It was not realized until later that there was fire in the walls.  Soon flames and smoke burst out all over.  The ancient walls, tinder dry and full of dust, burned at an explosive rate.  Layers of wood, stucco, brick and a slate roof held the fire in until the third story and two-story addition were but ashes.

Thursday, February 25, was not a very cold day; a large crowd gathered.  In spite of the violence of the fire, many people rushed in and carried out furniture and threw bedding from upstairs windows.  No one was hurt.

W.E. “Josh” Billings, retired from the News-Journal arrived on the scene to write a graphic account which provided much information for this article.

Salvaged articles were stored in the lower level of Zion Lutheran Church, next door, and several other buildings.  Always energetic, Mrs. Dunbar immediately moved the bus station which had been in the hotel to 226 East Main  Street, and occupied a small apartment in the rear.  By March 5, 1943, she arranged an auction of the furniture, dishes, silverware, and bedding that had been saved.  She continued to manage the bus station.  She died in 1951.

After the fire there was a great alarm that the remains of the building, owned by John Geyer of Sebring, Florida, would fall into the street, and passersby avoided the area.  On May 4 1943, however Geyer had Everett Hillegas and his wrecking crew from Huntington demolish the structure.

Much brick, heavy timber, and wiring was salvaged, and Hillegas said, “Contrary to falling down the building was solid.  If a cyclone had struck North Manchester the Young Hotel would have been the last building  destroyed!”

The area was soon cleared, and the lot was purchased by the congregation of the Zion Lutheran Church.  The fine parsonage there, designed by the late Fred Kissinger, was built in 1950.

Apple Custard Pie
Peel sour apples, stew until soft, and rub through a colander.  Beat three eggs for each pie.  Use one cup of butter, one cup of sugar for each.  Season with nutmeg.  Bake till golden brown.

Every seat was filled on the tour bus to South Bend on June 7 as we left for a historical tour of that city.  First stop was for an unbelievable brunch at Tippecanoe Place.  This former Studebaker home was an impressive setting for the brunch table.  One special table provided a variety of waffles with any topping you can imagine.  A second promised omelets to order.  Other tables were filled with meats, eggs, fruit and sweets while yet another supplied various bakery items.  We cannot recount the number of returns for yet another goodie.

Next stop was at Oliver House where we were guided through this mansion given to the local Historical Society by the family.  Their gift included the furnishings, dishes, and even clothing in closets.

From Oliver House we drove past the Convention Center and the Raceway where kayakers and rafters were challenging this white water course in the heart of the city.  Then it was on to the Notre Dame Campus.  Special stops there were made at the Basilica of the Sacred Heart with a guided tour, and the Grotto on a short walking tour. 

We are calling it our first annual Historical Tour.  Special thanks to Marie Holsinger for thoughtful and careful planning of all the details.  It was great.

Helen Yount and helpers have set up a Victorian summer in the special theme room at the museum.  Everyone in the neighborhood should spend some time there during the next two months.  Open hours are Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday afternoon 1-4 p.m. and the last Sunday of the month, also 1-4 p.m.

For a number of years the North Manchester Historical Society has had a goal aimed at securing and restoring the birthplace of former Vice-President Thomas Marshall.  That goal is now closer to realization and we expect that the house will be in our possession before the end of this summer.

The society has applied for a matching grant.  In order to claim the grant we will need to raise $44,000.  Plans for the organization of a campaign to secure funds for moving the house from its present site and for restoring it to the time period of about 1850 are now underway.  That campaign will be a broad-based one so each of us will be expected to contribute as well as others who are not members of the society.  We are especially eager to do a professional job of this restoration and that will require both sweat labor and funds.

We are really pleased to be able to look forward to the actualization of this project in the near future.  We believe the restored Thomas Marshall birthplace will be of special educational value to the school children of this area and to all of us and we are willing to work to make it happen.

Allan White has made many very special contributions to the life of all of us in the Historical Society---and indeed to all the residents of the town of North Manchester.  But today we honor him for one very special service to our Society.

There are many steps in the production of our Newsletter.  Some write articles.  One must plan the organization.  One must do the preparation for the printer.  Then comes the actual printing and finally there are those who affix the labels and take it to the post office.  The preparation for printing is a key task in this process and that is what Allan has done so well.

The Newsletter was the brainchild of Allan White and Nancy Reed (who has made many contributions to the Historical Society, too) and the two of them worked together to make it a success.  More recently Bob Nelson has served as the editor.  So with the contributions of many we have had and continue to have a very interesting publication.

Allan White has found it necessary to resign his responsibility recently as he moves to other projects.  We are grateful for the many hours he has contributed to the success of the Newsletter and wish him well.  Perhaps you will drop him a note and express your personal thanks.

Noah Lindsey-Early Wabash County Pioneer  
By Michael R. Hayes

This article was compiled from the Wabash County History and the Reminiscences of Harry Leffel.  The interview was apparently held in 1892.

Noah Lindsey, born in Franklin County, Virginia on September 27, 1814, came with his parents to Preble County, Ohio in 1815.  He came to Chester Township in 1839 and located on 80 acres, later the farm of the late Daniel Garber, southeast of North Manchester, and after ten years, located in Pleasant Township, again in the woods.  In the late years of his life he said that the double log house was the only building in Laketon.  A man named Johnson and his partner named Burr, kept store in one room and two families lived in the other.

Noah said that on his way to the township in 1839, he stayed in Wabash.  Court was in session in a one-story frame house near where the marble shop on Canal Street now stands (1892).  Judges Jackson, Keller and another man were on the benches at the time.  He said there was a striking difference between that courthouse and the present one.  There was but one brick building in Wabash and it was all woods north of the public square.  There were but two houses on the trail between Wabash and Laketon.  The road was known as the Mail Trace Road and had been surveyed and the trees blazed before he came to the country.  He chopped out the road from Liberty Mills to the Lagro Township line.

Noah said that Michigan City was the nearest market place for wheat and the only place where salt could be bought by the barrel.  Two of his neighbors and he with wagon loads of about 25 bushels of wheat each, were eight days making the trip.

Eli Harter lived in the cabin on the farm now occupied by Joe Crill.  (The site of the West Manchester Church) and the farm west of the Laketon Road all were in this farm, the building being on the Laketon Road on the southwest side of the creek and on the northerly side of the road where it angles southwest.  The only house between Laketon and Manchester belonged to Eli Harter. 

“John Ogan built the cracker near North Manchester.  The stone was a large grindstone which cost him $18.00.  After Mr. Harter commenced grinding wheat and corn at his mill where Straus/Gingericks mill now stands, Ogan went out of the milling business and rigged up the grindstone to run by water power as an accommodation to himself and neighbors.”  Noah said he later got possession of the stone and preserved it as a relic.

Noah Lindsey married Deborah Fannin on June 5, 1842.  She was a daughter of Bryant and Rachel Fannin, also early pioneers.  Noah and Deborah had 11 children.  William H. ---May 16, 1850-March 31, 1873, Mary E. ---Dec. 7, 1854 to Feb. 15, 1877, and Joanna ---Oct. 6, 1868 to Oct. 21, 1878, are buried at Laketon Cemetery in the old section, with their parents.  Other known children were Rachel, born in 1847, Edward born in 1853, Martha, born in 1857 and David L., born in 1859 or 1860.  The other four children are unknown.

Noah Lindsey was a member of the United Brethren Church and lived a Christian life for more than 50 years.  He died July 28, 1893 at age 78 years, 10 months and 1 day.  The funeral took place at Ijamsville church before a large congregation, conducted by Rev. Mattox of Laketon.  Deborah, his wife, died Nov. 23, 1893.

Buckeye Recipes

Almost everyone in Northern Indiana had come from Ohio or had relatives there, and there was continuous communication.  Hence, when the Buckeye Cookbook was published in 1876, it had a wide circulation in this area.  It was dedicated “to the plucky housewives of 1876 who master their work instead of allowing it to master them.”  Four hundred sixty-four pages later there was hardly a household recipe or situation not included.  Several are included in this newsletter.

Fried Mush
A delicious breakfast relish made by slicing cold mush thin and frying in hot lard.  Dip in beaten eggs salted to taste, then in bread crumbs.  Fry like doughnuts.

Orpha J. Weimer 
Remarks regarding Orpha J. Weimer presented by Sara Mertz Allen at their retirement banquet in May 1971

Admitting to a  specific number of years having passed, though this is not a woman’s usual approach to personal history, I found myself in 1924 on the Manchester College campus as a freshman and Orpha Jackson as an already established, scholarly college student.

Graduating from high school in 1922, she attended college that summer at Manchester for 12 hours of academic training which enabled her to teach the following fall at Flora, Indiana, with three grades and 49 students as her assignment.  The same was repeated the summer of 1923 with a teaching program again in 1923-24. 

In the fall of 1924 she entered Manchester College as a full-time student and continued her training until graduation in 1927.  For the next four years she taught in Elkhart.

Then, having married Harry Weimer, she spent the next 25 years rearing a family of two boys and one girl, plus assisting her husband in managing the Weimer Canning Factory on the west side of North Manchester.

In 1956 she again entered the teaching profession and received her master’s degree from Ball State University.

Orpha was early encouraged to think of teaching as a profession, since her grandfather was one of the first teachers in Carroll County.  She states that his diary of those early days makes interesting reading even today.  Her teaching experience has extended from grade two through high school and college.

Early in her academic experiences her ability in several areas became apparent.  In the intervening years her continued interest in science and art has been evidenced through her many extra efforts shown in projects produced by her students.  Consistently, her pupils have been prize winners in the annual science fair both locally and in area competitions.

Sometimes her enthusiasm for a particular project created a bit of tension and occasionally some scheduling irregularities.  One particular situation comes to mind when I recall a four-hour session for an art project involving papier mache crèche figures for the Chester School outdoor Christmas display some 12 years ago.  Sticky hands, sticky hair, sticky desks, and sticky floor resulted, but exhausted and very proud pupils were able to troop to the assembling on the front lawn.

More recently one of her students brought signal honor to Chester School as a first place winner in the state conservation contest sponsored by the Indiana Superintendent of Public Instruction and the state art supervisor.

Personally, I must acknowledge Orpha’s constant support for the program in art which we have tried to carry out in the local schools.

This spring brings the finale to many years of dedicated and conscientious work in the classroom and, although personal sadness has colored the last weeks of her professional career, she should be able to look back with great satisfaction on her successes with the host of students who have come under her capable and concerned direction.

She undoubtedly will be able to continue her interest in young people by having more time to spend with her own seven grandsons and her one granddaughter.

With teachers like Orpha in our school system we can be assured of education for young people which will keep them alert, interested, aggressive, and successful in both school and society, whatever their special interests may be.

Mince Meat
2 bowls chopped apples
1 bowl chopped boiled beef
¼ pound suet
rind and juice of one lemon
2 teacups of molasses
1 teaspoon each of cloves and cinnamon
1 nutmeg
1 pound of raisins
½ pound of currants
¼ pound of citron, cut fine
1 quart of cider
sugar and salt to taste
Boil and put in quart cans.  One can will fill two double crust pies.  Store in a cool, dry place.

Campus Memory  By Orpha J. Weimer

In 1923 my roommate, Gail Stephens and I took a notion that we wanted to have our mothers spend a spring weekend with us at the college.  They objected, of course, with all sorts of reasons: house-cleaning, garden-making, strawberries, little chickens, and so on.  Our lady mothers were widows and hard-working farmwomen, neither of whom had traveled very far from home.  We wanted to give our moms a bit of a vacation but it finally dawned on us that they were a little afraid of the idea.

We decided for them to see us on a real school day rather than during the social atmosphere of a weekend, so, when they finally agreed to come, we planned carefully for our Thursday-through Saturday “party.”  We roomed a half-block off campus on Bond Street with “Aunt Mary” Winger.  Two of the girls were to be away on a music tour, so, with their and Aunt Mary’s consent we could use their rooms and beds.

Family members and friends helped the mothers make connections from their homes to North Manchester, relying on the Interurban to Wabash and the evening train to North Manchester.   The weather was fine and the timing just right, so we could get to know each other before heading off to Oakwood Hall for supper.

We girls normally did our own cooking, but this once we thought our ladies ought to know what dormitory food was like and made reservations for the evening.  The mothers were all eyes, seeing the roomful of tables for eight and the mob of students taking their places.

Those seated with us were chatty and friendly as introductions were made. The young man who headed our table said grace, and then we were served. And—what do you know—both women laughed and felt at ease. We were being served big bowls of cubed bread and icy cold milk! (I don’t recall what else we had!)

We walked back to Aunt Mary’s to visit her and the other girls before we “had an early night.” As the next day, Friday, was still a school day, we were up early. Breakfast was tea and toast with lashings of homemade jam and some fresh strawberries which Gail’s mother had brought. Then off to morning chapel.

Chapel was a must. Seats were assigned, with boys on the right side of the aisle and girls on the left. Visitors sat in the smaller side sections. I was a monitor that spring, so I had an attendance slip to fill out. (Too many unexcused absences reflected in grades.) The faculty sat on a low, raised platform along the east end. We had announcements, a morning hymn, and the prayer, followed by President Winger’s short devotional talk. He was a good speaker, worth listening to, and the mothers were impressed. They also noticed the Brethren girls wore black cotton stockings and lace prayer caps.

Neither of us had an early class, so we went up front and out along the long administration hall, past the main entrance. There were offices along the south side and classrooms along the north. They could scarcely believe it was so new (having just been built the year before to connect the two older buildings.) There were classrooms on the second and third floors. The chime was in a steeple above the entrance, but the stairs were steep, so we didn’t go up.

We went to the basement mailroom and bookstore where the mothers could get some postal cards and also meet Mrs. Ida Dunbar. She was L.D. Ikenberry’s daughter and knew a lot about Manchester. We left by going up the outdoor stairway. The mothers rested on the big stone-double-seated “spoon-holder” to watch the students. When the change bell rang, Gail took her mother to a methods class back on the second floor while Mother and I went out the back entrance to the library building where I had botany.

I pulled mother past Professor Kintner’s jungle of boxes, flats, and small potted plants on the steps, window sills, and an odd chair or so. He was cross-pollinating seeds and starting cuttings. Mama Kintner kept him quite busy, supplying her with new poseys for her garden club, and in his classes we got first-hand knowledge of seeding, thinning, trimming, and grafting.

There was a standard rule that a class could leave if the teacher was ten minutes late. Kintner was never early, but they could never catch him late! The students were laughing and making bets, but he was two minutes early. It was Mother who made their day, however. She looked up, gasped quite audibly, then raised both hands to stroke her cheeks and chin. The class turned to look, then shouted with laughter. Even Prof had to laugh, declaring he didn’t need hair dye yet. In the open doorway his crop of curly whiskers were a bright and shiny red!

After botany came gym. Everybody had to take that. While I played tennis, the mothers came with me and sat, talking, on a bench under the oaks. The courts were about where Petersime Chapel is now and in short supply. If you knew the game, you were assigned time during the early lunch hour. Dormitory folk would get their chance later. You never knew who your partner might be.

Young Prof Bollinger was new. He and his wife, Martha, were caretakers of the Men’s Dorm. Sometimes a teacher back for a refresher class, Russ Michael, played. He usually brought a young woman named Helen (it was thought that they were engaged!)

One of the most unusual players was M. Irene. You had to be polite and say “Miss Johnson” usually. She was head of the placement bureau and had come from Indianapolis. We liked her but sometimes grinned behind her back; tall, gangly, thin, with long, black hair and snappy black eyes, she always wore men’s black laced shoes because of foot trouble, except for tennis when she wore white sneakers.

She would stand spraddle legged, teetering from side to side, swinging her racquet. Then, with a crazy yelp, she would hit the ball back with vim. She had a great backhand.

She had an engaging smile. When you started a placement interview, like a mother hen, she came to see you and wish you luck, as well as check if you wore a hat and had a clean handkerchief and spotless white gloves!

When Gail rejoined us, the four of us sauntered to “Tater” Brook’s filling station (now the Union parking lot.) Everyone stopped at Tater’s, if only to buy chewing gum. He loved to tell stories and was full of them. We had a hard time getting away as the mothers like to tell stories, too!

The mothers were not inhibited now. We answered questions and explained things as we went for a belated lunch at Gilbert’s, a popular snack spot, across the street just south of the Men’s Dorm. The family had remodeled the garage into a short order place. Then, finishing up with ice cream cones, we headed for Aunt Mary’s.

Aunt Mary kept the mothers entertained with stories of her early life around Sweetser, about Otho’s childhood and of her daughter’s life as missionary in India. Gail and I got supper with some of Mother’s home sugar-cured ham. When the tea was hot we invited all three ladies down to our basement room to eat. The talk flowed on; we just sat and listened.

Aunt Mary was going around the corner to her daughter Cora’s [Mrs. L.W. Schultz] for the evening while we went to the auditorium to see some excellent one-act plays, written and performed by students.

Gail’s mother planned to leave shortly after lunch on Saturday. Student friends, Mr. and Mrs. Harold Walker, came over to take the four of us on a tour of the town and covered bridge, then along the back road to Liberty Mills. We made a brief stop at the old Comstock cemetery where the entire pioneer family is buried in a large circle. At Roann we went through the double-spanned covered bridge and then stopped at a small restaurant in the west part of town for lunch, Gail’s and my treat and thank-you to the Walkers.

My mother was staying over until Sunday morning as there was no Saturday evening train. The local Methodist pastor, the Rev. R.C. Plank, had grown up as a youngster in my hometown of Bringhurst, near Flora, Indiana. After church he and Mrs. Plank took us to Wabash for the interurban stop, and Mother began her ride home in reverse order.

Later we found out that they had lots to tell about Manchester and were very glad to have us girls there. As my brother remarked, “They told all about it to everyone they saw and sent word to everyone they didn’t see.” It was indeed a heartwarming experience for all of us.



1 large white cabbage
50 small cucumbers
5 quarts small string beans
8 small carrots
12 stalks celery
5 red peppers
3 green peppers
2 heads cauliflower

Chop fine, soak overnight in salt water, and drain thoroughly. Pour over them hot vinegar spiced with mace, cinnamon, and allspice. Seal in cans while hot. A tasty pickle…can be made in small quantities.