Source: North Manchester News, May 13, 1918


About one o'clock this morning Simon P. Young died at the home of George Shupp in this city, death coming to him peacefully, and marking the close of a long and active life. For a long time he had been quite feeble, but his condition was no worse during the last few days than it had been for some time. Sunday morning he fell from his chair while putting on his shoes, and while he suffered no injuries from the fall, that was really the beginning of the end.

For more than 58 years Mr. Young has been a resident of this city, coming here from Missouri in 1860 and starting in the blacksmith business, later harness and implements were added, and coal. For the last few years he has taken no part in the business, that being looked after by George Shupp. He was twice married, his first wife passing away in early life, leaving one daughter, who is now Mrs. James Peek of Springfield, Missouri. Again he was married to Amanda Shupp, and lacked but eight days of having lived with her 60 years when she also passed away. They took into their home and cared for as their own son, George Shupp of this city, who was a nephew of the second Mrs. Young, and he and Mr. Young were associated in business until he retired from work a few years ago. Mr. Young was a member of the Holiness church, and a conscientious man.

Source: Ft. Wayne News and Sentinel, May 15, 1918

SIMON P. YOUNG DEAD (Special to the News.)

Simon Peter Young, one of the pioneer business men of this city, died at the home of his nephew, George Shupp, after an illness of over two years, at the age of 88 years. He had been suffering from heart trouble for a long time, but was not considered seriously afflicted until just a few hours before death.

He was born in Bucyrus, O., in 1830, and came to North Manchester soon after the outbreak of the civil war. He started in business in the blacksmithing business, later adding harness to the business, and a few years afterward adding coal and sewer tile to the list of items sold. He was twice married. His first wife died soon after marriage and he was united in marriage to Miss Amanda Shupp sixty-five years ago and they were married sixty years at her death, five years ago.

He adopted George Shupp, a nephew, at the time of his second marriage, and soon afterward took him into the firm, and had made his home with him since the death of his wife. He is survived by one daughter, Mrs. J.A. Peek of Springfield, Mo. The funeral services cannot be arranged for until the arrival of the daughter.