Source: Columbia City Post, October 19, 1892

Death of Dr. Marshall

At the hour of midnight on Thursday last, Dr. Daniel M. Marshall passed to his reward after a lingering illness of several months. His condition for several days prior to that time had been so critical that his death was not unexpected and when the end came, he was surrounded by his immediate family and a number of sorrowing friends. On Thursday evening it became apparent that his death was not far off and he gradually became weaker and weaker until the little spark of life remaining gently and peacefully went out and the soul of Dr. Marshall was free.

Of the life of Dr. Marshall little need be said, for encomium would be singularly out of place. A few simple, earnest words could best tell the story of his life, for his life was most of all characterized by its simple earnestness of purpose. Showy ostentation of any kind, he detested as he did also hypocrisy in every form. In a word, he was honest, not only with his neighbors but with himself. He was what he seemed to be and seemed to be what he was. Blest in the enjoyment of a happy home, he bore the world's cares lightly and yet no one took a greater interest in any movement looking to the betterment of the people than he. He was a friend to those who needed friends, a christian who did not regard his religion as something apart from his daily life.

Dr. Marshall was a native Indiania having been born in the county of Randolph on the 5th day of March 1823. When a small boy, his father removed to a farm just north of Marion, Indiana, the farm now being a flourishing city. Here he lived until reaching manhood and until having fitted himself for the profession of medicine. About this time, he was married to Martha A. Patterson, of Piqua, Ohio, who has been his companion for forty years and now survives him. Dr. Marshall subsequently entered the practice at North Manchester, where his only surviving child, Thomas R. Marshall, was born. He then located at a point in Missouri, but at the breaking out of the war found it convenient or rather necessary to leave the place on account of his strong Union sentiments. He then practiced his profession at Pierceton until 1871 when he removed to this city where he has since resided.

The funeral services were conducted at the late home of the deceased Sunday afternoon at 3:30 o'clock by Rev. O. S. Thornberry. Many citizens were present out of respect for the memory of the departed.

Monday morning the remains were taken to Wabash where they will rest temporarily in a vault until a family vault can be constructed at Marion. About twenty-five prominent citizens accompanied the family on this sad journey.