Source: The News-Journal, February 15, 1923
DR. DAVID GINTHER ANSWERS LAST CALL
PASSES AWAY AFTER LONG ILLNESS
Had Practiced Medicine in North Manchester for More Than Fifty Years.
About two o'clock Tuesday morning Death called for Dr. David Ginther, after a serious illness of several months from hardening of the arteries of the brain. Last summer as was his custom, the Doctor spent the time at Yellow Banks on Webster lake, returning late in the fall. The latter part of the summer he was not in his usual health, and shortly after his return home he became much worse. Since then his decline has been gradual but for some weeks it has been recognized that he was in a very critical condition. His death came quietly and peacefully.
The funeral service will be conducted at the Lutheran church Friday afternoon at two o'clock by the pastor, Rev. M.D. Geesey, and the burial will be in Oaklawn cemetery.
Fifty-two years ago Dr. Ginther began practicing medicine in North Manchester, and was active in practice until very recent years. He was recognized as one of the most competent and conscientious practitioners, his ability and his honesty in practice bringing to him the confidence and respect of the entire community--a community that today joins the members of his family in mourning the loss of a good friend, a progressive citizen, and a physician of high standing.
David Ginther was the son of Benjamin and Anna Marie (Keller) Ginther. They came to Wabash from Tuscarawas county, Ohio, in 1847. Arriving at Wabash the family first found shelter in what had been a sheep stable. Soon the father built a cabin eight miles southwest of Wabash in Waltz township, and it was there that the son, David Ginther, was born, May 27, 1848. He stayed at home until thirteen, and then started work for himself, first in a sawmill. In this way he earned enough so that when seventeen, in 1865, he was able to commence studying medicine, going with his older brother, a practicing physician at Hagerstown, Indiana. He also attended lectures at the Eclectic medical institute at Cincinnati. In June of 1871, Dr. Ginther walked to North Manchester, and commenced active practice. By careful service and honest methods he built this practice to one of the best in the county.
In December of 1877, he married Miss Laura Whitlow, who survives him. He is also survived by one sister, Mrs. William T. Macey. He was a member of the Lutheran church, the Masonic order, and was president of the Union Trust company. He has served the town as a member of its council and as a member of the school board.
On two occasions during the last few years the doctors of North Manchester and of Wabash county have honored Dr. Ginther. On May 24, 1916, the doctors of North Manchester gathered at his home and presented him with a fine cane, expressing the hope that it might be a long time before he would have occasion to use it. Again on November 22, 1919, they gathered with him and assisted in celebrating over the fact that he had been for fifty years in the practice of medicine.