Source: North Manchester Journal, December 4, 1913
J.J. MARTIN TAKEN BY DEATH SUNDAY
MAN PROMINENT IN AFFAIRS OF CITY SUCCUMBS TO LONG ILLNESS
Although in failing health for several months the death of J.J. Martin Sunday came as a surprise to his many friends. Saturday was the first day he had remained in bed all day and in the afternoon he seemed in his usual strength. In the night he began to fail rapidly and quietly breathed his last at noon Sunday.
Mr. Martin had long been connected with public life of North Manchester and was well and favorably known throughout this community for years past. He was born in Coshocton County, Ohio, in 1841. When he was four years old his parents moved to Wabash and two years later to this city, where he had since resided. He was married to Mary E. Williams, Nov 7, 1865 who with their three children, B.L. Martin, A.E. Martin of Wabash and Miss Grace martin of this city is left to mourn his death. He also leaves two grand children and one great grandchild. He enlisted at the beginning of the civil war and served until disabled by ill health. He was a member of Company D of the 47th Indiana regiment. In 1866 he established the North Manchester Exchange, the first newspaper ever printed in this city, the outfit for which was brought overland from Lagro where it had been shipped by canal from Toledo. He was at the same time engaged in the photographic business and finally disposed of the newspaper plant which after many changes both in name and ownership, became the Journal. Later, in 1890, he started again in the newspaper business, this time publishing the Rays of Light, which he sold in 1900 to W.E. Billings.
In his early youth, Mr. martin united with the M.E. church of this city and was a member of the board of trustees of that church at the time of his death, having been an official of the church for over forty years.
The funeral was conducted at the house by Rev. J.M. Haines, assisted by Dr. M.S. Marble, district superintendent of this church, Tuesday afternoon at two o'clock. Short ritualistic services were held at the cemetery by the Odd Fellows lodge.