Source: North Manchester Journal, March 15, 1883

Michael Eby died at his residence, one mile east of Liberty Mills, Ind., March 1st, 1883, aged 74 years, 7 months and 4 days.

The subject of this sketch was born in Stark county, Ohio, July 27, 1808. While young he was brought under those influences which not only make reputation,but mold, stamp and solidify character. Industry and piety were the inmates of his early home. His father's family was a large one, there being seventeen children. He had seven brothers and one sister, four half-brothers and four half-sisters, his father having been twice married. Three of his brothers and his sister were in attendance at his funeral. Mr. Eby's father was one of the farmers of Stark county, Ohio, and although burdened with a large family he gave part of his time to the work of saving the souls of those about him, and for many years was a faithful minister in the U.B. church. Perhaps the piety of Mr. Eby's parents, more than anything else, was the great influence which drew him, in after years, to walk in the path of the righteous man. On the first of August, 1833, Mr. Eby was married to Miss Susannah Stambaugh, daughter of Rev. Jacob Stambaugh, a minister of the U.B. church. Almost a half century they were permitted to walk together. But these ties, although strengthened by almost fifty years of companionship, have been broken. Mr. Eby was the father of six children, four daughters and two sons, four of whom are living. A daughter died in 1866 and an infant son died in 1847. His only son, Wesley Eby, of Nebraska, did not arrive in time to see his father die, but was permitted to follow his remains to the grave. The three daughters, Mrs. Elias Miller of Iowa, Mrs. Adam Strauss, of Huntington, and Mrs. Daniel Strauss, wife of our fellow-townsman, were all present at the time of their father's death. Mr. Eby moved from Stark county, Ohio, to this county in the year 1856. His early occupation, that of a miller, was finally abandoned for the carpenter trade, and that again was abandoned for his farm. He was a stranger to idleness, and by his economy and industry he succeeded in providing a competency for his family. In 1836 he was converted and for almost fifty years was an example of piety to those around him. Some of the readers of this sketch will perhaps call to mind the times they have heard him testify of a Saviour's power and a Saviour's love. May we not say he has won the christian's prize? At his request Rev. S. Wells preached the funeral. Thirty years ago when Rev. Wells was a boy in the ministry he found a home under the roof of Bro. Eby. He met death, that king of terrors, without fear, settled his earthly affairs and then went home. The church as well as the neighborhood will feel its loss. The funeral took place from the U.B. church, this city, March 4th, and his body was laid away to await the resurrection of the just.