Peabody Singing Tower

 NORTH MANCHESTER HISTORICAL SOCIETY
 North Manchester, Indiana

Recipient of Indiana Historical Society's Awards--"2013 Outstanding Project Award" &
"2009 Outstanding Historical Organization".  Welcome to our web site!  Enjoy using this Portal to Our Past!

  Home  Eel River  Native Americans  Pioneers  Agriculture  Businesses  Roads  Railroads  Banks  Military    
N.Manchester   Liberty Mills   Laketon   Townships  College   Schools  Churches  Cemeteries  Deeds
Photographs  Biographies  Family Roots  Obits  Newspapers  Architecture  Newsletters   More  


Articles/Weesner

Bank of N Manchester

George Lawrence

Indiana Lawrence





  Copyright © 2009-2017
North Manchester
Historical Society
All rights reserved.


Please contact
our Center for History
if you find
inaccuracies or
inappropriate content.


     

BANKS

“The Banks”, “Lawrence National Bank” and “Indiana State and Union Trust Banks” in Weesner, History of Wabash County, 392-3:

North Manchester has three banks—the Union Trust, Lawrence National and Indiana State and Union Trust.

The first bank in North Manchester came in with the railroad, in December, 1871, when Jesse Arnold and John Arnold founded the Manchester Bank as a private institution. For many years it was considered the leading bank in the Eel River region and from it was evolved the First National Bank of North Manchester, which was chartered on the 17th of March, 1883. Its officers were: Jesse Arnold, president; James Arnold, vice president; John R. Wallace, cashier.

The year before the chartering of the First National, on the 15th of March, 1882, George W. Lawrence founded the Eel River Valley Bank, and on account of his high standing and wide acquaintance as a merchant its business prospered from the first. In 1886 it became a national institution, with Mr. Lawrence as president, A.C. Mills, vice president, and H. Mills, cashier. Mr. Lawrence retained the presidency until 1894. The Lawrence National Bank has a capital of $50,000, deposits of $400,000 and surplus and undivided profits of $45,000. The present officers are: John M. Curtner, president; John W. Dome, vice president; George W. Shively, cashier.

The Indiana State Bank was organized August 8, 1901, with a capital of $25,000 which has been doubled. Present deposits, $300,000; surplus, $30,000. From 1901-05, W.H. Shaffer served as president, S.S. Ulrey as vice president, and J.C. Gochenour as cashier. The present officers are: A.A. Ulrey, president; Calvin Ulrey, vice president; A.I. Urschel, cashier.

The Union Trust Bank was founded October 11, 1913, with David Ginther as president, but has fairly entered the field with a capital of $40,000, deposits of $45,000 and a surplus of $10,000.