Peabody Singing Tower

 NORTH MANCHESTER HISTORICAL SOCIETY
 North Manchester, Indiana

Recipient of Indiana Historical Society's Awards--"2013 Outstanding Project Award" &
"2009 Outstanding Historical Organization".  Welcome to our web site!  Enjoy using this Portal to Our Past!

  Home  Eel River  Native Americans  Pioneers  Agriculture  Businesses  Roads  Railroads  Banks  Military    
N.Manchester   Liberty Mills   Laketon   Townships  College   Schools  Churches  Cemeteries  Deeds
Photographs  Biographies  Family Roots  Obits  Newspapers  Architecture  Newsletters   More  






  Copyright © 2009-2016
North Manchester
Historical Society
All rights reserved.


Please contact
our Center for History
if you find
inaccuracies or
inappropriate content.


     

 

Source: THE WEEKLY RAYS OF LIGHT (October 18, 1900)

WILL OPEN NEW BUILDING--A.G. LAUTZENHISER & CO.'S ROOM OPEN TO PUBLIC
A CREDIT TO THE TOWN. THE FINEST APPOINTED IMPLEMENT SALESROOM IN THE COUNTY


This week will witness the completion and dedication of one of the most handsome, well appointed and substantial business buildings in North Manchester, and that is saying a great deal, for no town in the country can boast of any better buildings than can this place.

The new building that is just being completed is the one on Walnut street, owned and erected by A.G. Lautzenhiser & Co., and which will be occupied by that firm as an implement and carriage sales room. It is 55x78 feet in size, and of two stories, besides a large and roomy basement. It is finished throughout in the most complete and modern fashion, a large roomy office occupying one corner of the main room. This office is divided into two parts, one a general office and the other a private room. Wash rooms and closets have been provided for in the plans for the building, as has also a large freight elevator capable of taking a set up buggy or carriage from one floor to another.

This handsome building is to be thrown open to the public on next Saturday, and at that time implement and buggy men will be present from all over the country to take part with the firm in its rejoicing over the successful culmination of its plans for advancement. The firm cordially extends an invitation to the general public to call on that day and to see not only the handsome and complete new building, but also to look at the especially fine line of goods carried and on display.

The gentlemen who compose this firm are representative men of the town, and have been identified with all the movements for the town's advancement. And as this, another progressive move, is ending in success, it is no more than right to say something of these men who have planned and furnished the wherewith to carry the plans to completion.

A.G. Lautzenhiser, from whom the firm takes its name, was born in Wabash county, and moved to North Manchester, October 22, 1874. He spent a few years in the west, and then returning worked at carpentering for a time. He was also employed as a day laborer and a rail splitter. After this he was employed on a salary by A.W. Bowman, and worked for him for three years. He then purchased an interest in the firm, and it was known as A.W. Bowman & Co., and for ten years did a successful business. At the end of this time he disposed of his interest and went on the road for the Rex Wind Mill company. He had two thousand dollars in this company, which went in the loss account. After that he identified himself with the McCormick harvesting machine company as manager for five counties in Indiana, which position he still holds at a very lucrative salary. He has won an enviable reputation as being a hustler and a pusher, honest at all times and attentive to business. He is a pleasant man to meet, and during his active business life here of over twenty years he has contributed much to the welfare of the town.

David Ginther, M.D., is another member of the firm, whose living in North Manchester has been profitable to the town. He was born in Wayne county, and moved to North Manchester, June 22, 1871. He erected a two-story brick store building on the north side of Main street in 1885, and occupied it for a short time as a retail drug store, at the same time practicing medicine. He sold the stock to Perry & Rudig, who afterward sold it to George Burdge and he moved the stock to its present location. The building is still owned by the Doctor, and is occupied by F.J. Bechtold & Co. Dr. Ginther has always been public spirited and has given liberally of his earnings toward the support of almost every enterprise that North Manchester has had during the past twenty years. Through honesty, fair dealing, sobriety and close attention to business, success has rewarded his effort, and he has built up one of the most extensive practices in Wabash county. The Doctor was one of the boomers of the Rex Wind Mill company and like others was unfortunate in that something like $5,000 sunk in that ill-fated enterprise. However he did not allow that to interfere with his interest in the growth and welfare of the town, as his connection with the present splendid improvement will certify. The Doctor's time is too fully taken up with his large practice to give much time to the management of the implement business, but that is in good hands when trusted to the Messrs. Lautzenhiser.

The direct management of the retail department is in the hands of E.L. Lautzenhiser. He is a pleasant fellow to meet, and he knows all about the business from one end to the other. J.D. Grossnickle acts in the capacity of general hustler and salesman, and he is a good one.

G.N. Frazier, of Ft. Wayne, has an interest in the building, but has no connection with the stock.



A.G. Lautzenhiser & Co., Walnut Street (West Side); McCormick Harvesting Machines Sign

A.G. Lautzenhiser & Co. on Walnut Street, North Manchester