Peabody Singing Tower

 NORTH MANCHESTER HISTORICAL SOCIETY
 North Manchester, Indiana

Recipient of Indiana Historical Society's Awards--"2013 Outstanding Project Award" &
"2009 Outstanding Historical Organization".  Welcome to our web site!  Enjoy using this Portal to Our Past!

  Home  Eel River  Native Americans  Pioneers  Agriculture  Businesses  Roads  Railroads  Banks  Military    
N.Manchester   Liberty Mills   Laketon   Townships  College   Schools  Churches  Cemeteries  Deeds
Photographs  Biographies  Family Roots  Obits  Newspapers  Architecture  Newsletters   More  


Churches





  Copyright © 2009-2017
North Manchester
Historical Society
All rights reserved.


Please contact
our Center for History
if you find
inaccuracies or
inappropriate content.


     

Source: NMHS Newsletter May 1987

THE CHRISTIAN SCIENCE CHURCH
203 N. Market Street

 Origin:  10/17/1912.  It was then a barn housing a horse and buggy.  Samuel Oldfather (1847-1928) and his wife, Sarah (1857-1953)established the small church.  Their elegant home at 201 N. Market was used for Sunday school during the first few months, but this was later moved to the church.

 The remodeled barn became a model sanctuary.  A Reading Room at the side and back was used often by the public and by church members.  Services on Sunday were at 10:45 a.m.  Readers appeared promptly following organ music by Etta Brown, sister of George Burdge.  The organ was a pump type.  Edith (Martin) Rittenhouse of Liberty Mills was soloist for many services.  The readers had the Bible and the Christian Science Book by Mary Baker Eddy before them and this comprised the sermon.  The Mother Church is located at Boston, Massachusetts.

 Wednesday evenings were open to testimonials and fellowship.  The Lord’s Prayer was always used in the ceremonies of the church.  It became a symbol of the teachings to all in attendance.

 Members came from a wide area:  Akron, Urbana, Sidney, South Whitley and more.  Visitors were welcome anytime at the Oldfather home and at the services of the church.  Much of the counseling was throughout the week in the home.  Families and friends attending were:  Goehler, Naber, Ruse, Brown, Guinnup, Gaddis, Koller, Sells, Keaffaber, Frushour, Frakes, Werking, Oppenheim, Rittenhouse, Leffel, Mow, Miller, Summa and Hippensteel.

 Closed 4/6/1966