Peabody Singing Tower

 NORTH MANCHESTER HISTORICAL SOCIETY
 North Manchester, Indiana

Recipient of Indiana Historical Society's Awards--"2013 Outstanding Project Award" &
"2009 Outstanding Historical Organization".  Welcome to our web site!  Enjoy using this Portal to Our Past!

  Home  Eel River  Native Americans  Pioneers  Agriculture  Businesses  Roads  Railroads  Banks  Military    
N.Manchester   Liberty Mills   Laketon   Townships  College   Schools  Churches  Cemeteries  Deeds
Photographs  Biographies  Family Roots  Obits  Newspapers  Architecture  Newsletters   More  


Churches





  Copyright © 2009-2017
North Manchester
Historical Society
All rights reserved.


Please contact
our Center for History
if you find
inaccuracies or
inappropriate content.


     

“The First Church” in Weesner, History of Wabash County, 451:

The first regularly organized church in Pleasant Township seems to have been organized by the German Baptists, their meeting house being about three miles northeast of Laketon in the northeast corner of section 2. That locality is some two miles west of North Manchester, from which place the bulk of the membership was drawn. The society, which was formed in 1836, was called the North Manchester Church, and for a long time its meetings were held in dwellings and barns; the larger gatherings took place in the latter. Among the early members who threw open their houses and barns were Joseph Harter, Eli Harter, Israel Harter, Adam Ohmart, Isaac Ullery, Jacob Metzger, Daniel Cripe, Daniel Swank, Henry Heeter and Nicholas Frantz. The meeting house was build about 1858. This society became very strong, and in the early ‘80s was split into two congregations, the separatists building a church on the line between Pleasant and Chester townships.