Copyright © 2009-2016
All rights reserved.
our Center for History
if you find
Source: NMHS Newsletter May 2001
Early North Manchester Residents
1834 - 1865
Reprinted from A Sense of Place:
Reflections on the Life and Times of North
Manchester by Dr. Ladoska Z. Bunker.
What follows is an incomplete list of persons
living in the town and its early additions from
1834 to 1865. A further listing from 1865 to
1900 is in the making. If you have relatives who
were early residents or knowledge of persons on
this list, any information would be much
appreciated. Please get in touch with the North
Manchester Historical Society.
- Melitis Andrews, 202 East Third Street
- Asa Beauchamp, owner of the American
- Bonewitz Family.
- Phoebe Butterbaugh, first white child.
- Cowgill family, shoemakers, tanners:
Cowgill family, 201 North Mill: son Carey,
daughters Kate (Harter), Rowena (Harter)
- J.R. Dailey, Black Hawk war veteran.
- Francis Eagle, came here with the
Harters, prominent attorney in Wabash.
- Reverend Bryant Fannin, circuit rider.
- Columbus Flook, potter.
- Ezra Ford, 201 West Third Street;
- Frame family: Mahlon, James; William
Frame, Mexican War veteran.
- Goshorn family, one a physician.
- Grist family, builders.
- Allen Halderman, donated land for
- Joseph Harter, the pioneer: 11 children
by first and second wives, came here in
1836: sons Joseph B. Harter, Jacob Harter,
prominent citizens through early 1900s.
- Col. Richard Helvey, 1834, 202 East Main
- Henry Lantz and wife, Lantz House hotel,
202 Walnut Street; had flour mill and other
enterprises; to California in the Gold Rush,
- Metzger family. One member went to
california with Henry Lantz, 1849.
- Noftzger family, 1845, L.J.; sons
Charles and Sam.
- Peter Ogan, founder of the town, cabin
at 125 East Main Street, wife Mary Anne.
John Ogan, brother of Peter, miller.
- Morris Place, operated the Quaker school
on South Maple Street.
- Isaac Place, 309 South Maple Street,
with the Underground Railroad.
- Eli Rager and wife Jeannie Willis, 204
South Maple Street.
- Ruse family, Third and Walnut Streets.
- Hiram Sheets, with Underground Railroad.
- Tighlman I. Siling and brother,
furniture makers before 1854.
- Alex Spurgeon and son John, builders.
- Daniel Stone, here in 1836.
- William Thorne, merchant, residence at
207 West Main Street; George, 1840 and
following, had racetrack at the edge of
- Ulrey family, 401 East Third Street.
- Wallace-Marine family, South Mill
- Wicks, Martin, a pioneer.
- Willis, William E., first postmaster,
- Whitlow, Hiram, blacksmith.
- Windle, Albert, 311 North Market Street.