|Source: NMHS Newssheet May 2004
School Building, from Dr. Bunker
The Chester School Building was
built in 1902 housing eight grades for nearby pupils and
a High School for all of Chester Township. The cost of
the six-room, two-story brick building was $9,195.00.
Ground had been purchased for $350.00, Equipment cost
$2,000 including seats and desks $650.00, school bell
and black boards $100. Spurgeon &
Grossnickle were the builders and Hosea
Little contracted for the
was the first Superintendent. The first High School
class graduating in 1904 consisted of twins, Dayton &
The building was torn down in
1928-9 to be replaced by another building in 1929.