of the North Manchester Historical Society, Inc.
Volume XX Number 3 August 2003
College and the Manchester School System
For twenty years Manchester College provided
classrooms and equipment and teachers for the North Ward
school, one of the elementary schools of the town. In
addition, for more than ten years it conducted on the
campus a high school level academy which accepted anyone
who had completed the first eight grades of public
school. This academy course was certified by the Indiana
State Board of Education in 1910 although it was
operating several years before that. It was closed in
1922 although a preparatory department for older
students who could not meet the requirements for regular
high school continued after that.
Because college teachers were not permitted to teach
both college and academy students, a separate academy
faculty was needed. President Otho Winder convinced
several former MC students who had not received their
degrees to return to college and teach classes in the
academy. They earned an allowance of from $25 to $75 per
month and continued their studies in College. Most
eventually earned a Bachelor's degree. Among them were
Vernon Schwalm, Edward Kintner, L.W. Shultz and W.W.
The North Ward school was the practice teaching
setting and was part of a Normal School or a training
school for student teachers. In 1909 Manchester College
was accredited for class C elementary school teacher
certification. This was a three-year Normal course at
the College level and was in effect until 1939. At that
time a four-year program became a new requirement for an
elementary license for teaching in elementary schools.
North Ward classrooms were in what is now the
Communications Building on the College Campus and were
taught by regular teachers. College Normal students
would observe these classes and eventually practice
teach with master teachers observation and suggestions.
In 1929 Manchester College was approved to give a B.S.
leading to a high school license.
Some children attended classes at the college for
their entire elementary school education. So there was a
great deal of concern when the College gave notice to
the school system that they no longer could provide
facilities on campus for the North Ward School. At the
same time the population in the Northeast section of
town was increasing because of the influence of the
College. This led to the building of the Thomas Marshall
School in 1929. Kenneth Burr as Principal of the North
Ward school at the College became the Principal of the
new school and some of the College practice teachers
served in this new school.