Dr. Stauffer was the first
graduate from the Chicago Veterinary College.
And for many there was clear evidence of the
effectiveness of his remedy. For one example:
About 1902, a woman from the country drove a
good horse to town. It was taken with a severe
attack of colic and the crowd that gathered
thought it was going to die. Dr. Stauffer was
out of town. J. A. Cook was in the crowd, but
had not yet gone far enough in his veterinary
course to legally dose a horse. J. B. Williams,
the veteran druggist was called and with a long
necked bottle administered the Balsamic Oil. In
a few moments the horse shook himself and
grabbed a whisp of hay from John Cox's hay wagon
which was passing by.
So long ago that even an old
timer hesitates to set the date Naz Bussard on
West Third Street ran a lye making plant and did
not have to lie when he said it made good lye.
Wood was the almost universal fuel and Mr.
Bussard developed a good business by gathering
the ashes people threw away. These ashes were
put in a "V" shaped hopper, rain water allowing
to leach through and the result was sworn to by
the old fashioned housewives as far superior to
the famous Lewis Lye of a later period. Bussard
was in a way a benefactor, making a product from
what otherwise would have been an unsightly
nuisance and making lye for all the soap making
activities of the time.
This factory was on East
Seventh Street opened about 1919 by Mrs. Mattie
Miller and Mrs. E. G. Butterbaugh. The product
was a type of bonnet in demand by members of the
Church of the Brethren and the selling territory
was the whole of the United States. Individual
shipments in large numbers were made by mail.
Eight hundred to a thousand bonnets would
frequently be sold just prior to an Annual
Meeting of the Church. At the death of Mrs.
Miller, Mrs. Frank Swigart came into the firm.
Business continued very good until about 1935
when demand decreased and the business was
Shortly after 1900 Eli
Isenbarger in connection with J.W. Strauss