Copyright © 2009-2016
All rights reserved.
our Center for History
if you find
|FURNITURE STORE PLANS OPENING FOR SATURDAY
(The News-Journal, April 1, 1937)
The Harting Furniture Company is planning for a formal
opening of the store in its new location in the Rufle
building Saturday. The change was made recently and the new
store presents a handsome appearance. Mr. Harting came to
North Manchester four years ago, occupying a business room
across the street from the Rufle building. The business has
grown until larger quarters were needed and the change was
made. The Rufle building was built by S.S. Gump especially
for a furniture store. It has a wide frontage with large
display windows, and abundant floor space to display
CECIL EILER GARAGE SOLD TO ASA HINES (The
News-Journal, December 31, 1936)
The Eiler garage has been sold to Asa Hines, owner of the
Hines implement store on West Main street. The deal was
closed recently and Mr. Hines will take possession Monday.
Only an alley separates the two buildings and Mr. Hines will
use the building for service work for his implement and
tractor customers. The deal included building and equipment.
Mr. Eiler had operated the garage for a number of years, and
as yet has made no definite plans for the future.
NEW STORE LEASES BURDGE STORE ROOM (The
News-Journal, November 2, 1936)
The west room of the Burdge store has been leased to Mr.
Cuthbert of Kokomo, who will establish what is known as a
Benjamin Franklin type store. An auction sale will be held
of the present stock in the room and the drug and book store
will be consolidated in the east room. Mr. Cuthbert will
start remodeling November 9 and expects to have the store
ready to open in a few days. He is son of Dr. F.S. Cuthbert
and wife of Kokomo and expects to move here next week,
moving into the Calvin Ulrey home on West Main street. His
family consists of wife and one child.
Mrs. Etta Brown and D.O. Horning, owners of the Burdge
Stores, commenced consolidating the stock into one room
several weeks ago, the change being made for convenience and
because they were wanting to discontinue some lines of
merchandising. Later came the opportunity to rent the west
room for a new business and the deal was closed last week.
MANCHESTER FORD AGENCY IS SOLD (Wabash Plain Dealer,
November 29, 1921)
F.O. Weber Sells North Manchester Garage Once Owned by
Olinger & Warvel
The Ford Agency in North Manchester has again
changed hands. A deal has been consummated whereby Fred Ward
and J.B. Hudson, of Indianapolis, have purchased the agency
from the Weber Auto company. The garage opened under the new
management Saturday. F.O. Weber, who had been manager of the
Weber Auto company for over a year, bought the business from
Olinger & Warvel. The garage in North Manchester was one of
the first modern structures built in this section of the
state in establishing one of the first Ford agencies.