Peabody Singing Tower

 NORTH MANCHESTER HISTORICAL SOCIETY
 North Manchester, Indiana

Recipient of Indiana Historical Society's Awards--"2013 Outstanding Project Award" &
"2009 Outstanding Historical Organization".  Welcome to our web site!  Enjoy using this Portal to Our Past!

  Home  Eel River  Native Americans  Pioneers  Agriculture  Businesses  Roads  Railroads  Banks  Military    
N.Manchester   Liberty Mills   Laketon   Townships  College   Schools  Churches  Cemeteries  Deeds
Photographs  Biographies  Family Roots  Obits  Newspapers  Architecture  Newsletters   More  


Home

BUSINESSES

Early 1880s
1890 Directory
1904 Advertisers
1920 Businesses
Industries-Billings
 Main St. 1923-1928
Transitions
Ambulance-EMS
Beery Orchard
Blackmore Cigars
Blacksmith-Farrier
Blacksmith-Livery
Cabinet Makers
Canning Factory

Cigar Factories
Dentistry
DeWitt Auto

DeWitt Building
Drug Stores
Excelsior Factory
Farm Implement
Flour Mill
Frantz-Loucks
Furniture Making
Grandstaff Rendering
Grove's Grocery
Hayes Motors
Heckman Bindery
Hotel Sheller
Howe Bait
Leedy Motor Co.
Louie's Candy

Mfg Industries
Mills
N.M. Airport
N.M. Foundry
Oppenheim-125 Yrs
Peabody Retirement
Peabody Seating
Photographers
Physicians
Planing Mill
Rex Windmill
Stickley Furniture
Telephone Cos.
Undertakers
Wagon Makers
Warner Brooder





  Copyright © 2009-2017
North Manchester
Historical Society
All rights reserved.


Please contact
our Center for History
if you find
inaccuracies or
inappropriate content.


     
Source: North Manchester Journal, January 12, 1888

But few even of our town's people are aware of the magnitude of the hardwood lumber trade of this place. One firm, the North Manchester Saw & Planing Mill Co., has one contract of a million feet of oak to be furnished to the Pullman Car Co., of Pullman, Ill. This material is cut in different sizes and lengths from a bill accompanying the order. The lumber will be used in building freight cars for the Chicago & North Western railroad and will, it is said, build nineteen hundred cars. The three mills of the company will be kept busy during the winter and the job will be finished April 1st.


Source: NMHS Newsletter May 2006

The Planing Mill

About 1894 the North Manchester Planing Mill went into receivership. George Eichholtz moved to Indianapolis where he continued in the lumber business. Petry moved to Warsaw where he engaged in lumber and other businesses. Valdinaire moved to Benton Harbor and later to Indianapolis still working in lumber. The company was purchased by J. A. Browne and became known as the J. A. Browne & Co. Planing Mill and Lumber Yard. The History of Wabash County by Weesner printed in 1914 mentions J. A. Browne & Co. as a maker of wagons. Later, this site became an electric light station.

When the Bippus Bank began a building project on West Street in 2005 a question arose about the houses on that site which were being demolished. The suggestion was that the houses were historically significant and had belonged to the Planing Mill. So a search was made of the origins of these houses.

Samuel Krieg purchased 4.40 acres for $440.00 in 1881. When it was platted it contained six lots - each 74' by 136' and a 14' alley between lots 2 - 3 4 - 5. They were north of Main street and faced West street.

Lot 1 was bought by Alonzo Brookins for $800. The amount indicates that a house was there at the time. 12-15-1883 Brookins sold the lot to Catherine Karns for $750. Karns sold the property to C. E. Hippensteel in 3-26-1901 for $700. Lot 2 was sold by Krieg to David Myers for $175. Myers sold this property to Noftzger and Krieg on 1-2-1885 for $550. This indicates that a house was built between 8-14-1883 and 1-2-1885. Krieg sold lot 3 to Emanuel Beeler on 12-20-1882 for $150 and Lot 4 to Jacob Sax for $150. so these lots did not have houses at the time.

So the abstracts seem to verify that the houses on these lots were not built for workers of the Manchester Planing Mill for by different individuals over a period to time.